Virgin Australia's New Plan For The Future

It has been almost 7 months since Virgin Australia entered voluntary administration, after failing to repay its almost $8 billion debt off. Since then it has seen many changes, including being bought by Bain Capital, the scrapping of all widebody aircraft, as well as its fleet of ATR, a new CEO and a fresh outlook on the airline.

Today, Bain Capital has announced the Airlines approach to the future. Some of these changes include:

A New And Improved Business Class
-Bain will do a full review of the business class product, to make it more accessible for passengers
-All snacks will now be ‘Buy Onboard’
-There is a possibility of free Wifi for Business Passengers
-A new Business Class proposition is scheduled to launch in 2021

A Lounge Restructuring
-Bain has decided to close 6 of Virgin Australia’s current lounges, which include:
-Wellington
-Perth T2
-Darwin
-Cairns
-Mackay
-Alice Springs
-They will still open the Adelaide lounge, which was supposed to have opened in April
-The Lounges that are staying will be opened this month
-The Canberra lounge is under review

Technology Investment
-Velocity brand to stay!
-All new app will incorporate all aspects of Velocity, as well as IFE
-More self service counters in Melbourne and Perth
-Virgin Australia Regional Airlines is planned to resume operations from Western Australia once more

There are a number of major plans for Virgin, hopefully everything will turn out the way that Bain wants it. Am I the only one that misses their Long Haul fleet? Stay Strong Virgin and I can’t wait to see the renewed airline flying high soon!

Source:
Executive Traveller - Adelaide Lounge
Executive Traveller - Future For Virgin

10 Likes

Nope! I had the opportunity to fly their 777-300ER from Los Angeles to Sydney and Melbourne to Los Angeles, with a 737 flight in between from Sydney to Melbourne back in April of last year, superb product and an amazing aircraft. Great to see that the brand will continue to live, though! Thanks for sharing, appreciate the update ;)

2 Likes

I hope they re introduce a long haul aircraft to the fleet! i also loved their ATR but I am pretty sure they are’nt coming back

Can we just take a moment to appreciate the engine cover? 🤣

I am sad to see their long haul fleet go, but if it’s that or the airline then I choose the latter 🤷‍♂️

5 Likes

@KaiM seeing that smily face in the A330 makes me sad. I cant believe its gone. That particular aircraft XFG is my favourite 330 in there fleet. Been on it many times.

3 Likes

It’s good to see some hope for Virgin Australia. The pandemic has really hit airlines hard, and Virgin Australia is definitely not the only airline struggling. Just wait, because once the pandemic cools down the airline industry will BOOM

2 Likes

I sure hope it will!

Well that seemed quick

1 Like

I believe they are still technically in Administration, but this is like a stepping stone towards exiting it strong

Hopefully they will be out by the end of Q1 2021. Can’t wait to see if they plan to get any new aircraft or indeed a new livery

1 Like

A new livery would be incredible! and i reckon a 787 for LH ops

Looking forward to hopefully seeing their aircraft in Christchurch again!

1 Like

Never mind @Zak_Plant, turns out they Did leave administration. On the 17th of november apparently. I found out by reading Australian Aviation