Virgin Australia Retires the B777 and the A330

Virgin Australia mainly uses the Boeing 777, the A330, and the Boeing 737

V.A wanted to focus there routes on mostly short haul routes, with there boeing 737, with this, V.A will be stoping all long hauls routes, including routes to KLAX RJTT ect
The main reason for this is because of COVID-19 and Qantas

VA biggest competitor is Qantas, with COVID-19, VA had a huge drop in flights, now it is getting better, but Qantas is so far ahead, they are operating many more flights than VA, so VA decided to focus on short hauls, and retire there Boeing 777 and A330

This is getting very bad for boeing during COVID-19, first pretty much all 747s are out, BA retired there B777-200 (not 200ER, just 200)
now VA is retiring the B777 and A330s, sad to see more aircraft go :(

15 Likes

Really unfortunate, Australia’s aviation industry has took a massive hit from this pandemic, hopefully things will shift soon. :(

7 Likes

I hope :)

1 Like

F bro F now they can’t fly to LA anymore

Noo, I loved hearing the B777-300ER roar in the morning when it took off from Brisbane to Los Angeles.
Gonna miss my alarm clock

This is sad :(

Qantas will once again have only foreign airlines as competitors on international routes :(

2 Likes

I bet they should get some good $$$ from those 77Ws pandemic allowing still a rather in demand plane.

1 Like

Very unfortunate 😔 I hope Virgin Australia can at least maintain or strengthen their domestic routes.

This is news to you? Virgin Australia isn’t necessarily “retiring” their Boeing 777’s or A330’s. The ones they fully owned will be sold, and the ones they leased will be returned back to their original owner.

Virgin Australia only fully owned 4 of the 5 777’s they had. The 5th was on a lease. The 777’s were deployed to join the already full trans-pacific market, with flights from Brisbane, Sydney and Melbourne to Los Angeles.

To add on, Virgin Australia didn’t ever fully own their A330-200’s. All six of the aircraft were on a lease, and were deployed to tackle Qantas on their domestic flights between Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane.

4 Likes

They pretty much retired them
So I decided to make a topic :)

There’s a difference between retiring, and selling (or at the very least, returning them back to their original owner).

I get that the word “retiring” gets you more clicks, but that shouldn’t be a reason to create any thread on the IFC. I’m not saying that you made this topic for that specifc reason, but it’s always something to keep in mind.

4 Likes

@Adam_S I think that @FLIGHT2 has a valid point. They may not necessarily be retiring aircraft in that sense as they did not completely own all 5 of them, however the Boeing 777s played a major role in their expansive fleet, growing Virgin Australia as a company and reaching further destinations. The point is the airline has decided to remove the aircraft from their overall fleet and focus on a smaller domestic market for the time being (likely for a while/until they can get back on their feet). Therefore I think that it is fair to say that Virgin Australia as a company is “retiring” these birds as they are removing them from their fleet.

1 Like

I never said he didn’t. The word retiring “retiring”, especially in aviation, means an aircraft will not be flying anymore. Sure, the Virgin Australia 777’s and A330’s may not be flying for VA anymore, but the aircraft will fly again.

I’d prefer the word “withdrawal”. It makes more sense for the content, and also sounds more professional.

Wherever you stand on the matter doesn’t phase me in the slightest, at this point the thread has gone far more off-topic than it needs to be, so let’s bring it back.

Virgin Australia’s withdrawal of the 777 and A330 from their fleet sure is sad, but there’s bigger fish in the ocean to fry.

If you didn’t know already, Virgin Australia has 737 MAX 8’s and 10’s on order for delivery from 2021 (with MAX 8’s coming in 2025). Virgin Ausralia is also looking at the 787 family for the future.

All the best,
-Adam

4 Likes

I think this may all be from the Virgin group. Branson sold America, may have to sell Galatic and has recieved more money in bail outs then he deserves so this was only a matter of time for Australia

That’s sad :(

@Adam_S After reading your view I agree with your argument being that the word “withdraw” would ameliorate this topic. Considering in the aviation world the word “retire” generally speaking, highlights the fact that an aircraft will no longer serve it’s purpose in the flying skies, it would be with good judgement for media outlets to refrain from using this word each time a carrier makes the decision to remove a certain aircraft from its fleet. Take an airline such as Qantas for example, the renowned carrier has decided to withdraw the Boeing 747s from its fleet, however it has not yet necessarily been determined if they will be retired completely. The aircraft will no longer serve it’s purpose within the carrier‘s fleet, however they may still have a flying future with an alternative company down the line. Media outlets continue to use the word “retire” when reporting on unfortunate events such as this, so I understand why the author of this topic has decided to use this word. None the less the word withdraw definitely fits this subject to a greater extent.

1 Like

The amount of retiring this year. Damn.
I really loved their B777…

1 Like

It’s news to me. An airline axing its entire widebody fleet is pretty controversial.

Thoughts on Delta’s 777 “retirement”? This can best be compared to Virgin Australia’s widebody “retirement”.

All of Delta’s 777s are fully owned by them and most are just 11 years of age, just a bit older than Virgin Australia’s 777s. They still chose the word “retire” in their press release.

Even Delta’s CEO used the phrase “retire our Boeing 777 fleet” in an internal memo.

Technically, the word retire in this has two main perspectives:

• leave one’s job and cease to work, typically upon reaching the normal age for leaving employment.

That’s what the majority perceive the definition of retirement. However, there’s also:

• compel an employee (or in this case, most comparably to an aircraft) to leave their job, especially before they have reached the normal age for leaving employment.

In this case, Virgin Australia is forcing its 777s and A330s into early retirement.

For now. They’re planning a return to long-haul markets, such as Tokyo and LAX. Until then, Virgin Australia passengers can access joint venture partner Delta’s Los Angeles to Sydney flight.

5 Likes

Good for them I guess. It seems like all of virgin’s airlines have outstanding service, but not profits. I mean, they had a lot of debt and losses even before the mr. worldwide class oopsie, so it seems like it was just the final blow for them. Maybe they’ll get better financially once they scale back and sell off some of their expensive assets

1 Like