Welcome back to another Hong Kong cut.
This time, Virgin Australia will be ending its Melbourne to Hong Kong route effective February 11, 2020.
(image by Boeing)
- This route is currently being operated by the A330-200.
- Virgin Australia will continue to fly to Hong Kong, but only out of Sydney using the A330-200.
Additionally, Virgin Australia will be cutting/reducing other routes after seven straight years of losses adding up to $1.9 billion.
- Canberra (CBR) to Perth (PER) will end from December 6, 2019
- Gold Coast (OOL) to Perth (PER) will end on January 19, 2020
- Sydney (SYD) to Christchurch (CHC) flights are being dropped as of April 29, 2020
- Qantas will be the only airline on Canberra to Perth
- JetStar will be the only carrier serving Gold Coast to Perth
- Sydney to Christchurch is rough. Qantas, Air New Zealand, and Emirates are all on the route.
- Sydney to Tamworth reduced from 14 weekly to 6 weekly
- Auckland to Sydney trimmed from 19 weekly to 14 weekly.
This Melbourne to Hong Kong route will allow Virgin Australia to launch daily Brisbane to Tokyo Haneda flights in 2020.
Basically choosing Tokyo over Hong Kong.
Really unfortunate time. Hong Kong Airlines announced Hong Kong cuts to Los Angeles and other cities two days ago.