Violation Complaint exceeding speed below 10,000

I had been upgraded to Grade 3 just yesterday. This evening I was flying a 777 New Zealand. I had set flaps as usual to slow down descending to a level of 2000. My speed was set to 190. Suddenly, several warnings were given and no matter what I did the speed of the plane would not drop below 250. During this time I received 5 one day violations and 6 three day violations for speed and was dropped to a grade 2. I had to crash the plane in order for this to stop. Prior to this I had 1 one day violation and no 3 day violations This occurred in the Singapore and Kuala Lumpur region. Has anyone else had such an experience and what did you do about it.

3 Likes

The only solution is to slow to below 250 kts before descending through 10,000ft.

12 Likes

Follow what @AR_AR said, slow down to 250kts or less before passing 10000ft. I slow down to 230kts before getting to my TOD point.

3 Likes

I did, I started my descent 60 miles out at a rate of 2200 to 2100 VS. The plane had started to slow down as I leveled off at 10,000, with flaps at 5.

If you are over 250 KIAS below 10,000ft, you can get a violation. Simple as that.

9 Likes

Okay, what I am hearing is even if it is a malfunction, I have to accept the consequences and there is no recourse.

3 Likes

Basically yes. I know the 77W is not the easiest plane to slow down, but you shouldn’t be using flaps 5 at 10000 or over 250 knots. Use the spoilers, cut the power and keep your nose level.

8 Likes

FAR 91.117 (a) states: Unless otherwise authorized by the Administrator, no person may operate an aircraft below 10,000 feet MSL at an indicated airspeed of more than 250 knots (288 mph).

If you get a violation for this above 10,000ft or below 250 KIAS, please take a screenshot and post in the support category for help.

4 Likes

There was no malfunction other then pilot error. If your above 250 kts when approaching FL100 you level off to decrease your speed. It’s as simple as that.

5 Likes

You only get the speed violation when over 260kts

1 Like

If i see im about to cross 10,000 before slowing below 250 I level off completely or I make my vertical speed around 400fpm so I can lose some airspeed. Don’t drop the flaps. I also use the spoilers sometimes.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s a malfunction, it’s just an oversight on the pilot’s part.

Just some quick speeds to remember:
240 kts - Max 1*
220 kts - Max 5*
200 kts - Max 15*
190 kts - Max 20*
180 kts - Max 25*
170 kts - Max 30*

Just a rule of thumb it’s a 10 kts step down for each flap setting after 15*. If you’re trying to slow down, you’re better off putting gear down than dumping flaps.

PS: These speeds (only) apply to the B77W
PPS: Please look at the speeds again, the ones I previously provided was incorrect :S

4 Likes

I think if you stay at 255 or a bit higher or lower, it would eventually give you a violation…

Only selected aircraft have gear drag.

1 Like

Oops, I didn’t know that. Thanks for letting me know.

Then in that case just put flight spoilers. Armed spoilers only activate on touchdown.

2 Likes

Putting gear down very early for drag is really bad flying even if you are below the max gear extension speed. Speedbrakes and a reduced descent rate are much better options.

Also as noted by others, flap use at 10000ft is way too early.

2 Likes

Wouldn’t the gears get out of place deploying at those altitudes and speeds in real life?

1 Like

True, but welcome to Infinite Flight

I’m just kidding :P
But I’m pretty sure you wouldn’t want IF to implement the same thing as Rortos did for their F18 simulator: Entirely prohibit you from deploying gear until you slow down (which in my opinion is clever yet dumb .-.)

3 Likes

The issue is more speed than altitude. For example the maximum gear extension speed in a 737-800 is 270 kts. If you extend the gear above this speed damage is a possibility. I don’t know what the equivalent speed is for a 777 but I imagine it won’t be much different.

3 Likes