VFR weather minimums outside Class ABCDEG airspace

Hey y’all curious if anyone knows what is considered VFR weather minimums in non regulatory airspace.

Any references to pubs is appreciated. The airspace is class G from surface (the ocean) to 1,200’. Class E from above 1,200’ to FL279 and class A from 280 and above. Close to the US. It is regulatory airspace when inactive and non regulatory when active.

1 Like

That’s actually a really good question. Honestly not sure. Never really thought about that… 🤔

EDIT: Looking a little deeper: For MOA’s you’d have to maintain your basic cloud and visibility requirements for the altitude you’d be operating. IFR & VFR flight is permitted in this airspace.

Alert Areas would fall under this as well. Likely Class E & G airspace.

As for CFA and NSA airspace, that might be a bit different.

Appreciate the response. Where’d you find that info for MOAs and which basic minima? I’m looking for my warning area but any info helps.

Couldn’t find anything specifically stating that there would be requirements for MOAs. Given that we can fly through them when they’re cold (inactive), you would just treat that area of airspace as any other type of airspace. On times that I’ve had a FPL going through a MOA, ATC was generally vectoring me around it when it was hot (active).

If anything, I’d be leaning towards the E & G minima.

But like you, this is something I’ve never thought of before. I’d have to ask around and see if anyone might know. It’s sparked my curiosity for sure!

I figured it would be E or G minimums but it seems there is no legal minima. The answer I got was it’s whatever the pilot feels is appropriate from my superiors. I trust them but I always verify with resources.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.