Vertical speed

What is an ideal safe vertical speed for touchdown in infinite flight?

1 Like

That would be around -50 VS until 150 VS, if you want to butter the landing easily.

1 Like

Depends on if you want to survive or not

4 Likes

-150 to -300 feet per minute is acceptable. No need for “buttery smooth” (ew I hate to use that) landings of -2 feet per minute.

If you can walk away from a landing, it’s a good landing. If you use the airplane the next day, it’s an outstanding landing.

4 Likes

Dude that’s gotta be my dads favorite quote 😂 he’s a pilot btw

1 Like

Chuck Yeager’s quotes are my favourite

1 Like

(this is kinds my own) and if the engine falls off, you done screwed up

1 Like

“The average vertical speed in a landing is around 2 metres per second (6.6 ft/s); any greater vertical speed should be classed by crew as hard.”

1 Like

400 fpm sounds about right.

1 Like

Thanks for the conversion. What you said before fits perfectly:

1 Like

MY SPINE!

Good landing is under 150

1 Like

edit: But the Wikipedia article is more black and white, 400fpm is the “average” which they also call the threshold for a hard landing. Implying that half of all landings are hard landings! Back to the Chuck Yeager quote.

Sounds about right:

hard landing
400fpm

acceptable
150 - 300fpm

good
under 150fpm

1 Like

Surprise! They put a RyanAir photo as a demonstration of a hard landing!

1 Like

After you mentioned that I noticed the text mentioned the RyanAir issue. But in the wikipedia reference to that there was this pilot’s perspective on the perception of hard landings (in defense of RyanAir). It’s interesting:

2 Likes

My guess is that the writer put ryanair in it purely to attract more people.

2 Likes

probably haha i was just joking lol it seems like everything ryanair is just hard landings

1 Like

i’ve never flown them so idk

I love how the Wikipedia article picture is a Ryanair plane

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.