Veering of runway issue on takeoff

For some reason when I reach rotate speed on takeoff the airplanes, especially the smaller ones, will suddenly veer off the runway. This issue does happen on landing as well, but not as much. It seems to have gotten worse with the new update. Thanks 4 any help!

1 Like

Use your rudder. It’s your bff when you fly. The end.

4 Likes

You must make sure you have your trim set correctly, correct V1 speed, use rudder and also not be too heavy to past the aircrafts normal limit because usally planes dont go out 100% full.
This is a place to find correct V1 speed

3 Likes

Simple fix:

Use rudder and aileron.

EX:If the wind is coming from the left, put LEFT aileron into the wind and add right rudder. As your airspeed increases, take out the aileron and rotate nice and gentle.

This procedure works the same with a right crosswind but with right aileron and left rudder!

Blue Skies and A Tailwind,

N1RG

Like Diamond mentioned, rudder will most definitely be your friend. Especially if there are any winds. Even the slightest crosswind will and could send you into the grass.

With that being said, smaller aircraft such as the C208, 172, SR22, and possibly the Dash 8, you will find that the steering will not “lock up” at higher speeds as you’d find on the larger jet powered aircraft. As a result, the steering on the nose wheel will still be the pilot’s role to ensure that the aircraft is tracking down centerline.

5 Likes

I think the most important thing is the flap position. or rotate too late. if you taking off even 1° flap higher. the aircraft will have enough lift to move with air before you even reach your rotate speed. that is causing it to wear off the runway. also if you go past your rotate speed by 10knts. your aircraft will again start to wear off the runway.

All commercial jets (airliners) take off with flaps so the flaps wont have anything to do with veering off the runway! Knowing rotation speeds and having a correct wind correction in is how you keep the airplane from veering off the runway!

Try watching some of the takeoff videos in #tutorials for some help. Maybe these will help you!

CRJ-700 Takeoff Tutorial

In the end it all comes down to the rudder. You must maintain control and stay somewhat centered. Good luck!

1 Like

i never said airline take off without flaps. I said higher flap setting. your plane will start wearing off runway as soon as the aerodynamic forces become active on the aircraft. and higher the flap setting the sooner it will be. also if you don’t rotate on time.

I have found hugging the tarmac until you have enough momentum to take off without the effect of the cross wind. The faster you move at rotate the less likely to be buffeted. I usually push the nose deliberately down during the transition until I am at a good takeoff speed then rotate. If you rotate early you can amplify the feel of any wind sheer.

Listens to Alan Parsons - Blown by the Wind

1 Like

In addition to everything said above ease the pressure on the nose wheel as you reach N1 (but do not pull yoke fully till Vr) - ie don’t press down on yoke as you reach N1

Yeah I agree. Once you’re at V1, let the aircraft guide you.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.