Validity of this safety chart?

I’ve just seen this chart on twitter(and yes, that’s not a platform to get the most credible news info), but, many have been using this chart to judge the safety of certain airlines.

However, I’ve noticed a few inaccuracies with this chart.

Kenya Airways is shown to have had 10 fatal accidents between 2000 and 2014, yet the only fatal accidents are KQ507 in 2007 and KQ431 in 2000.

Ethiopian Airlines isn’t spared either in that in the stipulated time frame, they only had two fatal accidents contrary to the listed 5. ET113 in which two hijackers were fatally injured back in 2002 without any damage to the aircraft, and ET409 in 2010.

Gulf Air is shown to have had 4 fatal accidents from 2000-2014 despite GF72 being their only fatal accident in the stipulated timeframe.

Aviation experts, in this era of fake news being so rampant, is this really a valid chart seeing that it is shown to be from the Flight Safety Foundation?

I found this article which uses these charts:

Very nice post!
Sad to see these other airlines with a lot of tragedies, but i’m sure they will prioritize safety. Can’t be too sure of the credibility of this chart, but im glad to see that most airlines have increased their safety in terms of fatalities and crashes.
Very nice to see that my favorite airline maintained itself with no incidents (#TAPGang) 🇵🇹

3 Likes

TAP does have a very commendable record with their only fatal accident being in the 70s. In a way, judging airlines based on their past is basically inaccurate since every accident is always an opportunity to improve the safety of civil aviation.

It can also be based on pilot skill and training.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.