V/S on landing

Much to my dispare, after watching what I thought was a good flare on a replay I’ve noticed I’m consistently landing with a slight bumb.

It’s very different to gauge how severe this bumb is without being aboard!
My V/S is usually about -500 (ftpm) when touchdown occurs.

Now with practice I can get it to -200 and obviosuly the less… the better.

What is an acceptable VS when touch down occurs?
(Commercial jets)

Also just a side note. What’s minus trim used for? I assume decent and contingency incase of full lock of flaps or what have you.

Thanks guys
Charles

4 Likes

Try landing in solo and watching your replay. I usually land going around -300 VS

3 Likes

Usually anything under -400 is good. If a landing exceeds a certain vs then the gear will collapse. I Think a smooth landing would be considered -175vs or less

4 Likes

Like @Alan_Perez said, go into solo mode and watch your landings. Knowing when to flare and pull power is always tricky when learning how the land and on different aircraft. The landing speed will depend on the weight of the aircraft. The physics are all somewhat different for each aircraft. The primary go to aircraft for me is the 787-9 and I can consistently get a landing touchdown with 200 or less. It just takes practice.

5 Likes

sorry that -600 VS is when I am close, to landing but im usually touching down around -300

2 Likes

There’s different factors to take in but what Alan said is absolutely true and how I started. Depending on your approach speed your VS on final case range from - 600 to -800. At around 50 ft Agl, I flare and idle slightly changing with aircraft which gets me a nice - 200 to - 50 VS touchdown. Time it perfectly and u can even have a - 50 VS touchdown exactly in the touchdown area.

2 Likes

I don’t even use autopilot when I land except for heading sometimes

2 Likes

Do you flare at 20 feet?

1 Like

If it is really windy don’t quote me but I’m pretty certain that they bring it in pretty hard

There isn’t like a certain exact altitude to flare at. It’s really just takes practice so you get that feel

anything is an acceptable v/s when landing as long as you can park your plane in one piece

3 Likes

In an ideal landing you want to be touching down less that 200fpm definitely, the less the better.

2 Likes

Found the Cirrus pilot(joking) I mean people wanna practice to get it as smooth as possible

1 Like

On commercial jets I aim for less than -200 ft./min, but with GA aircraft anything that doesn’t blow up the plane works for me

1 Like

In general: wide bodies flare at 30ft, narrow bodies flare at 20 feet. And GA flare at 10.

1 Like

It should be <-300fpm

In my case I almost always land at 640-400 fpm. :-P

Slight off topic, but does anyone know (IRL) if it would be better to have a higher V/S on landing on wet runways to reduce the chance of aquaplaning and not having the tyres grip? This could also cause the speedbrakes and reversers to deploy earlier than if the plane was skidding and the software didn’t know if it was safe to pull the brakes out.

1 Like

I think so. There was a plane crash involving a Lufthansa Airbus A320 and that was the reason. :-)

I consider a good landing being less than -150 ft V/S.

1 Like