Using rudder on final approach

I’m conducting an approach in crosswind conditions (usually in a a320/a321) and I’m crabbing at the correct angle for the plane to come in in the centre line.

I get to about 20ft, idle the throttles, pull back on the sidestick and use rudder in to the wind to put the nose of the plane down the centre of the runway.

We touch down and suddenly, I just swerve in any direction- there’s no pattern to it. Which ever direction the wind is, the plane will swerve to the left or the right for seemingly no reason and the landing just becomes really messy, with the rudder also becoming useless for 10 seconds after landing as well.

If any of you know of any tutorials on how to control rudder on crosswind landings or why this swerving could be happening and anything I could do to stop this then it would be much appreciated…

Thanks

Is “Auto Coordination” turned on in your settings? If so, you may want to turn it off and see how your rudder experience after touching down is.

2 Likes

Sure…

1 Like

I have Auto-Coordination off. I think I read somewhere that it made a difference with this sort of stuff. Unfortunately I haven’t noticed any change so far…

You need to release pressure on rudder when nose wheel touch down.

1 Like

I have noticed that sometimes putting the yoke into the wind (turning it towards the direction of the wind) will allow for some more control once on the landing roll out. Not sure if this helps, but give it a try :)

1 Like

Yes, aileron into the wind will keep the upwind wing from continuing to create lift.

1 Like

Try the wing low method instead and see if the same thing happens.

1 Like

Correctly done wing low approach solves everything… just a matter of being accurate!

I’m assuming the wing low method is what Mark Denton does in his tutorial when he touches down first on the gear going in to the wind. I’ll give it a try if that’s the case.

Thanks!

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.