Using Elevator Trim

Sorry trim is not only used for take off. Trim main use is to keep airspeed. On any phase of the flight you choose speed and trim it will fly… Becos it changes angle of the plane. You don’t have to keep hold of yoke all the way. On take off it changes angle to create lifts… Same it sets right angle trim so aircrafts will achieve optimum air flow over wings on lift.

It will come handy on level flight, set power, trim, it release pressure on yoke.
On approach you choose descent rate, set power, trim, it will fly nicely without you playing with thrust and pitch.

1 Like

Oh so that’s why it was so hard for me to land! Thank you Mark!

1 Like

Very Simple and Great Tutorial!😀

4 Likes

Yes and welcome to the community. Everyone here is great so don’t be afraid to ask someone about how to do something in IF!

1 Like

I dont get how to use the trim with the pink bar next to it

Thanks for the tutorial! I should really start using trim while flying now lol

1 Like

Is there a trim chart?

Like how do you know what to set your trim for each aircraft?

Thanks for the trim tutorial!

How much trim should I use during takeoff and landing?

Depends on weight and aircraft.

1 Like

So I understand the use of trim to adjust the elevators for all the groups reasons…

How do I interpret the magenta bar? I assume it shows some calculated adjustment, but what exactly?

To trim the plane, one has to make the purple bar disappear, either by trimming up or down.

Time for some experiments at altitude… Thanks!

1 Like

Its really trial and error, and you remember settings that work for each plane over time.

The amount of trim you need for takeoff and landing depends on the flap settings as these impact the angle of attack (higher flap settings = lower trim).

It’s great to see trim highlighted here and talked about! I would caution however about the idea of using trim like a primary flight control, ie to control airspeed.

Its not a flight control…it is there to hold and maintain a specific pitch attitude (nose angle) without constant pressure on the yoke / stick. The primary flight control for that is the elevator (pull up / push down), and once the pitch is set with elevator then the trim is adjusted to relieve the pressure. We don’t feel pressure on our devices but the trim will neutralise the angle we’re holding like a calibration. The result is that its easier to maintain that desired pitch.

1 Like

You will notice that trimming goes with air speed (IAS), as follow:

Low speed, like for takeoff or approach requires positive trim, normal speed requires around 0 trim, fast speed requires negative trim.

For instance with the A330 at about 180.000kg, I use 40% at takeoff, then I gradually decrease this to 0 at 280kt, then -10% at 300kt(M0.8).
On approach, I trim up gradually while slowing down, roughly 35% at 200kt, 45% at 180kt, then about 70% at VAPP (around 138kt) for landing.

This varies from planebto plane and load, butbthe logic remains : fast = low or negative trim, slow = more positive trim.

Let me know how it goes.

I like to use 100% trim on the XCUB to get those nice 35kt landings and takeoffs

Tep_NEMO, thank you for a solid description and good detail

The particular detail I’m wondering about is simply: which direction of adjustment the magenta bar means.

When the bar is above center, do i have to trim down to zero it out, or trim up? And vice versa for when the bar is below center.

This you can find out on the ground! Hold the phone, calibrate, drop the phone forward and see which way the purple bar goes!

A perfect answer, after i got caught up in trying to phrase the question right…

Time to go get some of those first 25 landings done and do this myself … Thanks again

1 Like