Using Common Sense On Expert With ATC

Hey everyone,

So lately while I have been controlling on expert and I’m sure my fellow IFATC controllers can agree with me, there has been a lack of common sense from the pilot side of things. There was previously a topic or two about this but they don’t address all common sense issues and are a little outdated, hence why I created this topic. Please read below.

Common Sense While On Ground

The following things should be kept in mind while on the ground frequency.

When Told To Taxi To A Runway
When you’re told to taxi to a runway, you listen and taxi to that runway. You don’t proceed to spam the atc frequency asking for the runway you want. The runways being used are clearly stated on the ATIS frequency. So if you request to taxi to a runway not being used it causes you and the controller to send back and forth unecessary messages which is the last thing the controller needs. One other thing to mention is that when a controller says expect runway (x) in the pushback message, you pushback facing towards that runway and know that, that runway is going to most likely be the one you’re taxiing too. So don’t push to the runway you want. Because ultimately ATC is going to make you taxi to the runway they want you to taxi too. This also saves them the extra messages.

While Taxiing
While taxiing, you need to use common sense. If an aircraft is taxiing in front of you, don’t try to get around it. All that does is cause chaos, which turns the expert server into the training server. And especially do not taxi through it. IFATC will ghost if you do so. Also something to note is if there is a line on the taxi way because there are multiple aircraft in line for takeoff, don’t do anything that you think will get you in the air faster. As said above all it causes is chaos. Finally, while merging lines, simply be courteous and allow one from one side to go, and one from the other to go after and follow that procedure. It saves us from spending time on ground to fix a mess that could’ve been prevented by the pilots.

While On The Tower Frequency

The following things should be kept in mind while on the tower frequency.

Requesting Takeoff While First In Line
This is one that controllers can definitely agree here. It is so simple as well. When you request to takeoff while in 2nd and beyond in the line, it is one, an unnecessary message. Two, it causes confusion as controllers usually have to try to remember as best they can who is in the line and what order they are in. So avoid requesting takeoff when second or third and beyond in the line.

Exiting Runway After Landing
Whether or not a controller gives you the exit command, it is you’re responsibility to get off the runway as soon as possible. Especially in a busy airspace. Its as simple as that. Don’t hang out on the runway, as it causes controllers to have to instruct to arounds and a whole bunch of unnecessary commands when the issue was simply because someone doesn’t care about what controllers want them to do. So just do them a favor and get the heck off the runway.

QUICK HITS FOR COMMON SENSE ON APPROACH

Don’t wait to call in 20 miles out from FL360, that’ll get you a tour of the surrounding area

don’t change runways when you switch to tower, there is communication between tower/approach constantly

Want ILS/GPS/Visual??? Don’t say “With you” on first contact, ask for what you want, it makes it 10x easier for us.

While you can switch to approach really far out now, it doesn’t do you much good. Begin your descent on your own, then call in 75 miles and inward.

~Approach credit to @mwe2187

Extra General Info

Please do not takeoff from an airfield right beside the one we’re controlling and expect to go straight to the runway, that’s not the case. You’ll get sent to the back of the line then line up for your intercept.

Please also do not report airport in sight when I intentionally turn you away from the airfield because you’re too high or you not being requested to do so.
^^^Credits to @Matthew_Chan

Closing Remarks
Thanks for reading everyone. Please keep this topic in the back of you’re head while flying on expert as this essence of common sense is really needed.

If there is another issue you’d like me to address then reply below and I’ll add it up here. Have a great rest of your day/night.

34 Likes

This is great. I’ll make sure to bookmark this.

1 Like

Great points @Chris_Hoover . Wanted to emphasize common-sense taxiing… I don’t know how many on this forum are driving-age, but yielding on taxiways is the same as yielding on roads. Be polite and use common sense on who should go in front. Aircraft even have green/red nav lights to help you out :) . Also, just because you find yourself stuck behind a C172, doesn’t give you the right to swerve around them. Speaking from first-hand experience, it’s irritating and unprofessional for the expert sever environment!

2 Likes

Quality posts…

QUICK HITS FOR COMMON SENSE ON APPROACH

Don’t wait to call in 20 miles out from FL360, that’ll get you a tour of the surrounding area

don’t change runways when you switch to tower, there is communication between tower/approach constantly

Want ILS/GPS/Visual??? Don’t say “With you” on first contact, ask for what you want, it makes it 10x easier for us.

While you can switch to approach really far out now, it doesn’t do you much good. Begin your descent on your own, then call in 75 miles and inward.

5 Likes

Nicely said and as well as common sense it’s good portion of common courtesy. Controlling at LAX this week I had a few aircraft who thought they’d get a quick departure by taking the taxing way adjacent to the one departures are lining up on. They would pass several aircraft and then I’d issue the hold position command, I’m sorry captain but that’s not how it works. And of course they’d continue to spam with taxi requests and I’d continue to hold until I see fit to return them to the line. Do not attempt to jump the take off line.

Keep the expert server for expert flying, there are serious simmers in there wanting to enjoy the full expert experience, don’t ruin it for them. If you want to get in the air quick and taxi through people then your place is the casual server, not expert.

👍

5 Likes

I’m absolutely agree with you guys! You make awesome work for us but please it appens to me yesterday at KSFO, when we are taxing to the rwy 1L, don’t tell us after almost holding short of the rwy 1L to change for the rwy 10R… I don’t know if that was a mistake but if it is it’s ok.
Thanks guys for the amazing time we have in expert server!

2 Likes

It was probably a mistake, and the controller should’ve said correction, disregard last message. But hey sometimes the controller is simply meaning to click one button but then they accidentally click on something above or below. Mistakes happen.

1 Like

Yes that’s what I thought but he doesn’t said « correction » but I understand that I’m a rush it can happens

1 Like

If everybody just use his common sense it would make my life much easier while controlling.
Requesting takeoff when 10th in line, or checking in from 20 miles FL360 gs550 kts is just annoying

3 Likes

Some more things:

Please do not takeoff from an airfield right beside the one we’re controlling and expect to go straight to the runway, that’s not the case. You’ll get sent to the back of the line then line up for your intercept.

Please also do not report airport in sight when I intentionally turn you away from the airfield because you’re too high or you not being requested to do so.

1 Like

Lots of existing info, nicely packed together.
Something to share on the IFFG Facebook page as well.
Thanks!

2 Likes

Thanks for sharing! So many idiots these days, I just came across someone who was on my apu the entire wait to rwy 15 at EPWA, and another guy with landing lights and strobes on while taxiing. SMH

1 Like

@Chris_Hoover I completely agree with everything in you post it hits the nail on the head however for us whom are training with hope of one day controlling the expert service as act. The training server I feel needs some addressing aswell. which will ultimately separate the men from the boys in the expert server also as I feel the expert server is the ultimate achievement regardless of interest level . However those of us that want a fully flight simulator experience these users you speak of lacking in common sense , general patience further example of the state of humanity that’s another topic.
So with that said is it not in all of our interests and mainly that of infinite flight that sanctions are imposed for the training server in line with the expert server perhaps a little leniency however some of the more serious infringements listed above i feel should be documented against that individual pilot , id personally be honoured to be a part of that if an enforcement program where to be further developed I have many different ideas I’d like to share with developers and moderators alike

Kind regards

BA-CityHopper

1 Like

A few things from me:

Do Not Request Takeoff again if you have been sat on the runway for a while after the Line Up and Wait Command
We heard you the first time. No need to ask again, have a bit of faith people. The controller is probably waiting for an intersection to be clear or for an aircraft to vacate the runway.

No Intersection Departures Means what it says
If you’re trying to get a cheeky intersection departure when they’re not allowed, to skip the queue, you won’t be taking off for a while, I can assure you. Don’t bother trying.

Only request takeoff once
Again, we heard you the first time! No need to request again unless you made a mistake, we want you up in the air as much as you want to be off the ground 😉

Listen and respond to Speed commands
Whether these are given by the tower or by approach, please listen! Don’t reply saying you will reduce or increase your speed then just continue as normal. This is usually for spacing, and if you follow these commands you’ll be much less likely to recieve a “Go around”, than you would be just continuing with your approach normally. Go arounds take a lot longer than slowing down a bit, I assure you! If your aircraft can’t meet the speed requirements requested, please reply with unable and we will work around you.

Cleared for an ILS? Announce it!
When controlling tower the amount of people just “calling inbound” instead of “inbound on the ILS” when cleared for an ILS approach by the approach controller amazes me. If that’s what you’ve been cleared for, say so!

Do not attempt to change runways
If you’ve been cleared for a certain runway by approach, stick with it, unless otherwise stated by Tower. If you try and change runways during transition between approach and tower, we will notice. It tells us on our screen what runway you’ve been cleared for by approach. Stick with it.

Thanks for taking into account our tips!

6 Likes

Common sense is not that common.

3 Likes

Aint that the truth

Rather a misunderstood statement

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.