USAF C-17 at Wellington Airport (Super rare!)

Hey guys,

You’ve probably seen a lot of me in the #real-world-aviation:spotting category by now, but today, we had a special visitor to NZWN! As I was on the bus for my daily commute, I saw a very unusual site, a USAF C-17 sat on the Western Apron, just begging to get some pictures taken of it! I couldn’t say no (even after spotting for 2 days in a row) and got my parents to bring along my camera to school, and take me straight to the airport. I pretty much made a little tour around the Airport and spotted at 3 different locations in hope to get some good shots! Though I thought these could have turned out a bit better, what do you think of them?

Also, make sure to check out my Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/nzwn_spotter_/

The Beast itself

This particular C-17 was from the 315th Airlift Wing of the USAF , and is based in Charleston, South Carolina! If you know anything else about this particular Globemaster, please do let me know!

The pictures!

Make sure to rate my shots from today!

0 voters

Thanks for checking out my shots, hope you liked them!

23 Likes

Wow! that’s rare, nice to see C-17 at NZWN

3 Likes

Didn’t know C17 had a weird looking tail!

1 Like

It sure is, only comes one or two times a year at the most, awesome to see it!

1 Like

It does have a T-tail! I personally like it with the T-tail!

3 Likes

That Toyota Corolla hatchback is so small it could possibly fit in one of the C-17’s engines. They’re pretty cool, loud as well on takeoff and landing. (I’m talking about the C-17, not the Toyota Corolla just in case anyone is wondering. 😂)

4 Likes

Beautiful photos!

7 Likes

Nice Shots @TheCoolPilot! I wonder what the C-17s doing there, so far away from its home?

The US found oil in New Zealand, prepare to be invaded. JK

I had the exact same question, some people are saying it’s the South Korean President who is paying a visit to Wellington, but I’m not a 100 percent sure!

1 Like

Wonder if it’s planning go farther south real soon? Amazing shots!

1 Like

this is also an aircraft that needs to be redone, I like to fly a lot with it, although it has no animation effect on it, (tires, flaps, aileron, spoilers) none of that works, and we also have no access to the cockpit.

1 Like

This reminds me of yesterday. I was at Bunnings, when I heard a deafening roar from the airport. (Bunnings is right next to the runway) Turns out it was a C-17! Canberra is partially a RAAF base so we usually get military aircraft here.

Sorry for bad quality, I only had my phone on me!

4 Likes

Nice photos! I like the first few. You might want to lower the exposure just a tad on the third picture.

1 Like

We get plenty of them out here, boy do they make a racket! Nice shots.

2 Likes

Now here’s whare KPIT can take the cake, those things are based here! 😝😂

2 Likes

Great photos!

Would love to get back in the air with IF’s own C-17!

1 Like

I thought so to, but it’s been confirmed to be carrying US security officials…

1 Like

Thank you! Met too, I did a few C17 approached to welly yesterday to see what it was like!

1 Like

😂😂 For sure!

1 Like

POTUS must be coming over real soon or something

1 Like