Urgent Help Needed - Unable to Land

I did not land with 77kt crosswind. ughh. This was on Expert Server.

Yes absolutely

2 Likes

Well, after a holding pattern of 45 min( in an attempt to restart winds server) and two missed approaches (not fully established on ILS), I ended up buttering a 157kts crosswind landing at RWY 34R ZSPD!!! A huge thanks to the expert controller for not ghosting me. I was all over the place on approach. He was very helpful and even gave me my own runway with no traffic to land safely. I wonder if he knew my situation, or was just trying to save all the other planes by keeping mine away 🤣 Although I must add, in such harsh crosswind conditions, APPR did not help me at all. My first two approaches were with APPR but it never centered me, as I kept drifting off to one side away from the runway sidelines. The third time I manually flew and had to really force my plane to follow a straight path. I can only imagine what a real pilot might have to face just to get the aircraft centered in harsh crosswinds.

9 Likes

Its red to me but I am not in FNF region

Édit : it’s green now :)

1 Like

Yeah, like schyllberg said, its a world wide server issue. He is looking into it.

1 Like

APPR won’t help, it has limits.

I’m sure some of them have changed since this was posted but 157kts is a lot higher than any aircrafts crosswind limit.

Also, why didn’t you divert to an airport where the wind would be going straight down the runway?, it would have made it a lot easier.

2 Likes

I reckon we should vote this to be the coolest thread of the month 😊

3 Likes

Well, it was a VA flight and I did not want to waste an 11 hr flight, since I would not have been able to log it if I had diverted. I agree, now many will say that if I showed proof of wind conditions my diversion would have been justified. But to be really honest, I wanted the challenge ( Go big or Go home, ryt!)

1 Like

I would probably prefer if the system was reworked in a way that if connection to the weather server is lost for more than say 5 seconds, the winds go calm to avoid situations like these. Let me know what you think

1 Like

Sounds reasonable, but I fear many pilots might misuse this loophole, to avoid strong headwind areas, in an attempt to shorten their long haul flights.

closed #31