(Updated) What to say when inbound for landing

Hey all,

As my old thread was made before Visual and GPS approaches were implemented to Infinite Flight, and is now closed, I decided to make a new one. Unfortunately, there’s still a decent amounts of pilots on the Expert Server who don’t know the proper terminology of calling inbound, and use the wrong one at the wrong time.

Inbound for Landing:
Use this when you’re inbound on your own navigation (without approach frequency), and do not have a preference as to what runway you will be landing on. You must follow any instruction ATC gives you. Example:

Fort Lauderdale Tower, Southwest 1523 is 20 Nautical Miles to the Northeast at 7,000 feet, inbound for landing

Southwest 1523, enter left downwind runway 10L

Inbound for Landing with a specific runway request:
Use this when you’re inbound on your own navigation (without approach frequency), and you want a specific runway for landing. However, you must follow any runway change ATC gives you (if applicable). Example:

Fort Lauderdale Tower, Southwest 1523 is 20 Nautical Miles to the Northeast at 7,000 feet, inbound for landing, requesting runway 10L

Southwest 1523, enter left downwind runway 10R

Inbound on the ILS/GPS:
Use this only when Approach has cleared you for the ILS/GPS approach for a specific runway. Example:

Southwest 1523, descend and maintain 3000, maintain 3000 until established on the localizer, cleared ILS runway 10L approach

(after you acknowledge and approach sends you to tower frequency: )

Fort Lauderdale Tower, Southwest 1523, inbound on the ILS, runway 10L

Southwest 1523, number 1, runway 10L, cleared to land

Inbound on the Visual:
Use this when Approach has cleared you for the visual approach to the runway. Example:

Southwest 1523, cleared visual approach runway 10L.

(after you acknowledge and approach sends you to tower frequency: )

Fort Lauderdale Tower, Southwest 1523, inbound on the visual, runway 10L

Southwest 1523, number 2, traffic to follow is on final
Southwest 1523, number 2, runway 10L, cleared to land

Here’s a neat chart made by @azeeuwnl :
99e7823fce022f8debc612a75b4e47853cb40b95_1_690x177

One thing to add:
If you were just on approach and were cleared to switch to tower, you do not need to tune in to the ATIS for that airport. Doing so only wastes time, and may induce conflict if ATC needs to communicate with you.

Lastly, if approach clears you for the approach to a runway, please do NOT use “inbound for landing”, use “inbound on the ILS” as it makes it much easier for us IFATC!

I hope that you now have a better understanding of what commands to use and when to use them. If you have any questions, please don’t hesitate to ask.

Remember that not following ATC instructions on the Expert Server is subject to ghosting!

16 Likes

Thanks, this will be very helpful for a lot of people… Good job!

5 Likes

Nice post, but why is this threat always shoved in our faces?

It’s always said just so you are careful. Most IFATC controllers don’t like to ghost, and when they do they feel bad. This way, they don’t have to ghost so much. Also, it’s for some people that don’t know what could happen.

4 Likes

That’s my issue - it’s always said. I’ve only been around 4 months and it’s gotten very old, repetitive, and demeaning.

The theme song of ATC must be: “We will, we will, GHOST YOU”! My apologies to Queen. :)

Haha! Ya it is a little repetitive but it’s repetitive for a reason. As long as you follow their instructions, you’ll be fine.

Just remember - everyone on here is not a teenager or pre-teen that needs the constant parenting.

6 Likes

Not all teens need all time parenting!!! (Some of them are actually not so stupid)

5 Likes

Great post. Very useful summary and reference and I have no problem with any repetition which leads pilots to more correct flying therefore fewer ghosting. As always, we are all here to have fun. :)

1 Like

This is probably a stupid question to ask but I just wanna learn. What is the diffirence for the tower between “inbound for landing” and “inbound for landing on the ILS/GPS”?

4 Likes

Inbound for landing will require the tower controller to give you a pattern entry (i.e.: enter right base runway 25R) and sequencing (i.e.: Number 2, traffic to follow is on final). If you say inbound on the ILS/GPS tower controller only needs to clear you to land.

2 Likes

It’s never a stupid question!

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.