Up and down

When approaching (at 3000ft, on the ILS, full flaps, gear is down, 150 knots),
A320’s nose went up and down due to increasing speed.
I used trim to adjust but it went the same and even not descended to the pleasant altitude.

How can I solve this issue?

1 Like

You want to land at around 140 knots. I use around 30% trim. Try to hold it steady, don’t over correct.

3 Likes

Also watch your weight, if you’re too heavy it could effect how the aircraft handles/flies

3 Likes

Maybe I was too fast at that time.
Thanks!

2 Likes

I’ve found that the autopilot won’t really be happy to hold an altitude at speeds lower than 160kts or so. Even worse with the landing gear down as it will get really unstable. It’s happened to me when flying a circuit at an altitude, say for reference 1500FT, the autopilot will barely be able to control the plane at lower speeds in a landing configuration due to it constantly over correcting your pitch, that’s why you’ll get that oscillating action of the pitch.

You should be around 160kts - 180kts around 3000FT, once you get to 2500FT you’ll generally extend the landing gear and thereafter select your landing flaps and decelerate to 140kts or so.

As Chatta290 said, generally your landing speed will be around 140kts in the A320 depending on your weight and headwind component.

3 Likes

You’re right. I guess I was too slow at 3000ft.
Next time I’ll make it happen correctly. thanks!

1 Like

You don’t usually put full flaps until, at the very least you’ve intercepted the localiser. I tend to put mine after I put my gear down if that helps. Visual approaches are different though as you may be turning in very far down the cone.

2 Likes

Headwinds shouldn’t change the IAS keep the same indicated speed and if there is a headwind your ground speed will change.

2 Likes

Yes, you’re absolutely right.
But since your ground speed changes, you might be only doing 120kts ground speed when flying at 140kts with a 20kt headwind factor, and if the wind lets say disappears your going to stall out as you’re going to be aerodynamically flying at 100kts.

Boeing FCTM’s will instruct that the landing speed to be increased proportional (1/2) and bled off at touchdown.
Basically what this means is landings speeds will be always increased by +5kts until 9kts headwind component. Headwind factor from 10kts - 19kts will be +10, and winds >20kts will be increased by 15kts but no more. This ensures that if ever the wind factor reduces suddenly, the aircraft will always be above vref +5.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.