Unusual Pitch Angle

Hi all,
I am enroute from Nagoya to Honolulu, and I have just taken off. I am using the 787-9, and I am experiencing high pitch angle at cruise level.
Here are some more details.

Dist to Dest: 3100NM
Fuel Remaining 45%/ 99,000LB
Weight/Load: 56%
Cruise speed: M 0.86 (Economical Cruise Speed for the 787-9 is around 0.84, but the pitch angle is the same at that speed)
Altitude: FL340
Winds: 150KT Tailwinds.
Trim: 0
Flaps: 0

Could someone tell me whats happening? Don’t jump to conclusions such as I need to step climb, because I already am doing that. And my aircraft is surely not overweight.

1 Like

This is a known issue, a few suggestions:

• Adjust trim
  • Add a small, amount of flaps

Overall this really doesn’t affect your flight, it should be fine 🙂

3 Likes

Surely my autopilot would counteract the adjust of trim?

2 Likes

Use 5’ flaps - it helps…

1 Like

Being honest, I fly the 787 all the time, it doesn’t really make any difference except from visually. These ‘tips’ I find don’t really help, it’s just something that is known and hopefully will be addressed by developers at some point along the line.

3 Likes

I love the 787 but that’s one of the things that drives me nuts. It really doesn’t affect much, it just looks strange.

Yeah I hope they address it sometime soon.

2 Likes

The 787 does have a fairly high pitch angle during cruise, I flew Auckland to Santiago last night and the pitch Is pretty high, but nothing too unusual

This was about 2:30 after takeoff, I was about the same weight as you are

this is a photo for today’s #screenshots-and-videos post ;)

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.