Unofficial A330 Takeoff & Landing Profiles

Harrison Lake, Vancouver, Canada

Welcome to the Unofficial Takeoff and Landing Profiles guide for the A330-300! This gorgeous aircraft comes with two engine variants, the Trent 700 and the GE CF6. Differing from other dual engine, wide body, long haul aircraft, the A330 will be a surprise in regards to its performance in the upper flight levels. The A330 is known for its rather sluggish performance when nearing cruise altitudes. Do not be surprised if you find yourself starting off at a lower cruise altitude such as FL320 for your long haul flight. Be patient and allow it to burn off its fuel before attempting to climb higher. Step climbing will be an absolute must for those long haul flights. Read more about step climbing found here: Step Climbs and Cruising Altitudes | Infinite Flight

This brief guide should get you into the air as well as on your way to a successful landing in just a few minutes. The table below should be pretty self explanatory for the most part, but please don’t hesitate to ask any questions you may have. Please read through the notes sections throughout the topic as well as at the end of this tutorial for further clarification on some of the items found within the table.

Bonus: There is a Quick Reference Guide at the end of this tutorial. You’re more than welcome to download and save the PDF for imminent and future use.

Table of Contents

Purpose
Conditions
Takeoff & Landing Table
Flaps
General Notes
A330 QRG

Purpose:

The purpose of this guide is to provide you with ball park speeds, flap settings, and power settings to get you in the air and onto the runway in one piece. These values are not 100% accurate as each flight is different though they will get you very close to actual numbers. Weather, airport elevation, weight, runway length and other factors will affect your these values.

Conditions:

Tests were conducted at Honolulu International Airport (PHNL) /// Airport Elev. 13ft \\\

• Winds Calm
  • Runway 08R
  • Temperature Standard (15˚C)
  • All initial pitch angles were 15˚ nose up until 1000ft. AFE (Above Field Elevation) before pitch was dropped to increase speed
  • Heavy Departure/Landing conducted at 80% load. Adjust as necessary.

Load % Takeoff Power Takeoff Flaps V1 Rotate Landing Flaps Final App. ‡ Flare/Touchdown
25% 85% = 89% N1 Flaps 1+F 120kts 125kts Flaps Full 140kts 135kts
50% 88% = 91% N1 Flaps 2** 144kts 145kts Flaps Full 145kts 140kts
75% 92% = 94% N1 Flaps 2** 148kts 150kts Flaps Full 156kts 151kts
>75%*** 96% = 97% N1 Flaps 2** 149kts 151kts Flaps Full 163kts 158kts

• Landing flare pitch should be no less than about 2.5˚ nose up.
  • Descent rate should not exceed -1000ft/min on final approach. When fully configured (gear/flaps) extended -800ft/min to -900ft/min is optimal

**Note: Depending on the length of runway, weight, terrain and other considerations, a higher flap setting may be desired.

***Heavy Departures/Landings: Takeoffs over 75% may result in takeoff over Maximum Takeoff Weight (MTOW). This may also result in runway overruns. This could lead to overweight landings depending on your configuration. Consider all factors and risks.

‡ Note: APPR is disabled for landings greater than the load below for where the Maximum Landing Weight (MLW) lies:

• 49%

Flaps:

For reference, the flap and various limitations for each setting are listed below. These can also be found in the cockpit of the A330 above the gear lever and gear position indicators.

Flaps Speed Limitation Phase of Flt.
1 240 kts Takeoff
1+F 215 kts Takeoff/Appr.
2 196 kts Takeoff/Appr.
3 186 kts Takeoff/ Appr./Land
Full 180 kts Landing

General Notes:

• For 25-50% loads, Flaps 1+F & 2 were used for data
  • For 75-100% load, Flaps 2 was used for data
  • "Rotate" indicates a speed at which you should commence the rotation. Once positive rate is established, retract the gear. Wait on retracting flaps until 1000ft AGL/AFE
  • Takeoff Power - The first percentage is your throttle amount. The second value is the N1 read out as indicated in green above your throttle.
  • 100% throttle should never be used. Aircraft in the real world very rarely exceed 100% as this is mainly used for emergencies only.
  • 20-25% trim was used to conduct these tests

Note: Fuel flow, thrust and other aircraft performance factors may apply.

Airbus A330 QRG:

If you would like a quick reference guide, you’re more than welcome to utilize this one that I’ve condensed into a 1 page sheet below. It has just about everything you’ll want to know in terms of “What do I use for takeoff/cruise/landing?” and “When do I add/remove flaps or power?”. Below is a screenshot of what this document looks like as well as a PDF download link for that crisp picture and saving for future use.

Revised: 06.2021

Questions?

Feel free to add any questions or other helpful tips/pointers that you may find beneficial to others and myself or our helpful community members will gladly address those.

Please also check out other guides I have created for other recently new/reworked aircraft. You may find these useful as well either now or in the future.

Have fun! ✈️

136 Likes

hey thanks a lot :))…also what is the range of this aircraft or how long can it stay in the air?

The fuel endurance in Infinite Flight is 18:33hrs. However, I’ve easily done 14hr flights. Its a very capable aircraft. You just need to make sure you’re step climbing appropriately because its not as forgiving for heavy, high altitude cruise when compared to some of the other long haul aircraft we have available.

5 Likes

Wow i have never used a tutorial for Takeoff before. Maybe i should start from this one.
Also question Why “Unofficial”?

1 Like

ohh thanks a lot

1 Like

Because Infinite Flight generally will create an “Official” tutorial. This is just the written form of information to get you started whereas, Infinite Flight will create a video showing you the ins and outs of the new bird.

Additionally, I don’t want to make this tutorial come across as an “official” source. So here we have the “unofficial” version. 😜

2 Likes

Ohhhhh makes sense now Thanks!

1 Like

Thanks for the great info man,really helpful,I found the A330 to have A bit of poor climb performance,but other than that it’s amazing! Very impressive!😄

5 Likes

Read online the correct cruise mach of the A330-300 is 0.82?

Normal cruise is M.78-.80. M.82 would be rather on quicker end. Easiest way to remember is that the cruise will be the same as your 737 or A320 series aircraft

2 Likes

Yay! Another one for my collection! I wanted to thank you as some appreciation for your work! Since I only rarely fly long-haul aircraft (which is gonna change now thanks to the incredible A330), I always struggled to find the right settings, but your guides always tremendously helped! Thanks again!

2 Likes

I’m glad and thank you. Until someone says, “Hey your tutorial caused me to crash” then I don’t think I’ll stop making these. They’re fun and you really get to learn what the aircraft is and is not capable of.

4 Likes

A330 is more capable than you think. It’s less “thrusty” but has better wing performance compared to a 777. It’s obviously less capable than most other long haulers but at the edge of it’s performance, it does tend to climb higher than a 77W due to the lower wing loading. If you look on FR24 during the Trans-Atlantic rush hour, you’ll see most 777s climbing at 310-330 at the start, whereas the A330 and 787 are between 330-370 and the A350 is at 350-390.

3 Likes

awesome! will there be a tutorial video for TO/Landing like the 757 series? Great work!

The video is being edited as we speak! Be sure you’re subscribed to our channel to catch it when it’s out. ✈️

8 Likes

Already Subscribed!😉

Regarding the cruise speeds, don’t think so? The standard cruise speed for an A330 is Mach 0.82. In the 737/A320 family it’s Mach 0.78. The A330 has its MMO (maximum Mach operating number) at Mach 0.86, the A320 family at Mach 0.82. Quite different.

1 Like

I can mention it again. Normal cruise is .78 to .80. These numbers came directly from an A330 pilot. 🙂

You are correct in the MMO values though. They are different. But normal cruise varies.

Funny how people are really challenging the numbers. I may like to joke around but these things, I don’t make up or play around with 😅

4 Likes

Yes, eventhough the fcom cruise thrust typically mention values for M0.8 and M0.82, but not M0.78 which is probably a saving speed.

1 Like

Thx Deer Crusher. As usual very useful stuff. Tested it from Kigali to Amsterdam, smooth landing following your data.
Thx again for all the beautiful work you offer to others !