Unnecessary Frequency Change Requests on Center

I’ll start by saying @jakcharvat is providing excellent service on multiple Center frequencies above the Leeward Antilles during today’s FNF.

So onto my Friday rant…

I keep hearing pilots, some of whom are quite experienced, incessantly requesting frequency changes on from the Center controller. These are almost never necessary! For example, as soon as I crossed out of the FIR, the controller approved my frequency change without me needing to ask. It annoys the bejesus out of me, because I know he’s providing approach vectors and spacing arriving traffic at a busy airfield as well as monitoring all of the other traffic in the controlled airspace.

Pilots, unless you’re certain the controller has forgotten about you, let’s be patient and lay off!

11 Likes

This one I can agree with. It’s amazing how many times on center I hear, “Request Frequency Change”. If any of my friends on here has been on a call with me while I was controlling, they know how that goes 😂.

Sometimes it’s funny though since everyone wants Center and Departure to be open but when they are open, they want to be off it haha.

16 Likes

Hi,

First off, thanks so much for the praise, it really means a lot to me. Secondly, yesterday really was quite busy and I have to admit sometimes I was too busy working with the guys around Beatrix that I forgot to send frequency changes to some who left my airspace, and then a request is warrants. On the other side, you were right that there were also many unneeded requests, and the stay on my freq button became my third used command :)

Once again, thanks a lot for the praise

—Jakub

3 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.