United Officially Pulls Out Of New York JFK, Drops 4 Cities, Cuts 12 Routes

United Officially Pulls Out Of New York JFK, Drops 4 Cities, Cuts 12 Routes

Source

United Airlines is officially pulling out of New York JFK airport. In the press release, they state that they do not have enough slots to continue profitably operating against the airlines like JetBlue and Delta who have a large transcontinental presence out of the airport.

As of now, United only has two flights out of the airport, to Los Angeles and San Francisco. These are two of the most competitive routes in the country, and in order to successfully fly these routes, they need to be scaled so that they have enough frequencies to compete with other airlines.

Also, in the press release, united said that they will make sure that all 100 of the employees at JFK airport will get relocated so they will not lose their jobs. They also stated that there is a chance that they could come back to the airport, as at the bottom, they noted it was a temporary suspension, but with no resumption date provided.

United will also drop the following 4 cities from their overall route network:

• Clarksburg (ends Nov. 30).
  • Lewisburg (ends Oct. 31).
  • West Paducah (ends Dec. 6).
  • Weyers Cave (Shenandoah Valley) (ends Oct. 31).

They will also cut the following routes:

Origin Destination
George Bush Intercontinental Airport (IAH) Edmonton International Airport (YEG)
Los Angeles International Airport (LAX) Colorado Springs Airport (COS)
LAX Dane County Regional Airport (MSN)
LAX Eugene Airport (EUG)
LAX Rogue Valley International-Medford Airport (MFR)
Newark Liberty International Airport (EWR) Northwest Arkansas National Airport (XNA)
O’Hare International Airport (ORD) Eugene Airport (EUG)
ORD Santa Barbara Airport (SBA)
San Francisco International Airport (SFO) Dane County Regional Airport (MSN)
SFO Detroit Metropolitan Wayne County Airport (DTW)
SFO St. Louis Lambert International Airport (STL)
SFO Will Rogers World Airport (OKC)

Many of the cuts have to do with the pilot shortage, but specifically before cities that were permanently cut were SkyWest cities. Those four cities were cities that SkyWest had been forced to pull out of due to the pilot shortage.

All four of the cities that were permanently dropped will also gain service on Contour Airlines with service to Charlotte.

14 Likes

Wow, this is crazy news!

Looks like a lot of airlines are cutting down routes

any news on United pulling out of Flagstaff Pulliam (FLG)? i thought i heard something about them cutting that route as well

I hope not, that’s one of my favorite airports

Them dropping this route to my home area comes a number of months after they downgraded service here from an E175 to a CRJ200. Alaska (I assume still via Skywest) and Allegiant will still serve the route

1 Like

yeah it’s a cute little place

hate to see it lose service

Last DEN-FLG flight is October 29 based on current schedules.

1 Like

That’s sad