United May Add Lie-Flat seats on It's New 737MAX Aircraft

Scott Kirby, the president of United Airlines told reporters that United is considering adding lie-flat seats in their first class cabin on their new 737 MAX 10 aircraft.

Although it is likely that United would opt for 2-2 seating like they have on their 757’s currently, I think it would be better for them to add 1-1 staggered new Polaris to ensure that everyone has direct-aisle access. Either way this would put United way ahead of Delta and American on routes where domestic first class is just a recliner seat with around 37 inches of legroom.

12 Likes

That would definitely be cool on a Short flight…

2 Likes

Since this aircraft likely won’t serve anything larger than a medium-haul, is this economically-smart? If they charge double the price of normal 2-2 seating, it might become worth it. But then they better do some popular business routes, otherwise no one will pay that much.

2 Likes

That would be super cool! Hoping United pulls through with this. Would be great on long flights, and with the extended range of the MAX, it would be perfect!

2 Likes

Hopefully, they do add the lie flat seats on the 737 max like Fly Dubai. United’s 757’s are nearing the point of retirement and the 737 max is its closest replacement.

3 Likes

1-1 would not make United put half as many seats

1-2-1 has as many seats if not more than 2-4-2

1 Like

Honestly, I’m not familiar with how United organizes their seating.
Currently, is their business class in jets like the 737 in 2-2 seating?

1 Like

Yes but they are recliner seats

1 Like

Would 2-2 seating with x1 price equal 1-1 seating with x2 price?
I was talking about doubling the price of business class, not every seat

1 Like

The MAX 9 operates daily Houston to Anchorage.

3 Likes

In my brain that’s a medium-haul :D
[edit: oh wait, just looked that route up. Didn’t realize that it’s 9 hours long??]

1 Like

United would not double the price of business class for this.

1 Like

So would they lose money that way?

1 Like

No, like I said, lie flat seats would not take up twice as much space as recliner seats. United would not be even considering this change in the first place if it was going to lose them money.

3 Likes

Oh ok, I’m definitely not sure at all about how United organizes their seating then.
In my mind 1-1 compared to 2-2 seemed like half the number of seats

Recently I’ve been getting some more United miles, so maybe I’ll ride on one of these lie-flat seats someday.

1 Like

That would be true if the two products in question were the same but they are not (recliner vs lie flat)

2 Likes

This would be to phase out the transcon 757 configuration. It will open up new markets like SFO-IAD which are currently not flown with lie flat seats. This is not designed for short domestic hops, more just transcon flights/flights with a lot of business demand.

2 Likes

If they do this then i have even more of a excuse to go on the 737 MAX again

2 Likes

I taught standing seats were the future of aviation 😆

Photo Credit

4 Likes

Please no, any airlines that remotely cares about customers can see the issue with these.

1 Like