United Economy Plus Review

I recently took a flight on United that was extremely pleasing and surprising. Here’s how it went down: (This is my first flight review, sound off below to tell me how you liked it and if you want more!)

Flight Review: CLE-LAX United Economy Plus 737-900ER

Check In

Check in was a fairly simple process. CLE was quite empty, so we had no wait in line. Strangly they were letting all Milage Plus members check in at the 1K desk, so we were able to check in at the Premier 1K desk. We then had a strange baggage handling experience. We had to drop our checked bags at a security checkpoint where they loaded our bags into an X-Ray machine before sending it off.

Boarding

We had booked a standard fare Economy Class ticket. Looking at the seat map on the United we saw that there were several Economy Plus seats open that were together. I went up to the desk agent and asked if there were any Economy Plus seats open. Surprisingly, rather than charging us $95 each, the wonderful desk agent gave them to us for free, as she was impressed by my aviation as a 12 year old. On top of thats, she gave us Priority Boarding, so I could meet the pilots. After boarding first, I went into the cockpit and talked with the pilots. We then walked down to seats 9 E and F.

The Flight

Much to our surprise, we had a last minute equipment swap, landing us in our 737-900ER, configured with DirecTV. As we settled in we began quite a long taxi. Once we took off, the Seatbelt sign stayed on for about 30 minutes, compared to other international carriers, which seem to turn them off within 10 minutes of takeoff. For the first time in a long time, United has made a good snack mix that doesn’t stink up the entire cabin. The next 1 or 2 hours went by uneventfully. We then had to use the bathroom, but the forward toilet was broken unfortunately so we had to make a pretty long walk to the back toilet which, unfortunately wasn’t the worlds cleanest toilet. I then did the unthinkable-at least for me- I touched the flight attendant button! I asked the flight attendant for a few more bags of the snack mix. I could not believe how good it was. She returned in a matter of seconds with three! We had a beautiful landing on runway 24R, a rarity! Since United uses Terminal 7, we made yet another long taxi. But that taxi was full of surprises! Going around Tom Bradley, I saw 77Ws, A380, the norm. But then I saw an ANA. I merely glanced at it for a second, but noticed something was not right… It was orange! It turned out to be their BB-8 Star Wars livery. But that was not it. I’ve flown United and Continental (Pre Merger), so I had heard about Polaris. I then saw a United 777-200. “Hmm… at least I think that was a 777-200. But it seems really… long.” I looked back and there it was! a United 777-300ER with Polaris! I was really surprised with this amazing experience with United.

Thank you so much for taking the time to read my review!!

6 Likes

The reason why you got the seats for free is because you had status. Same with the priority boarding. (Nice review)

1 Like

I don’t have high enough status. The only reason we were allow to check in at Premier1K was because it was empty so they let Milage Plus members to check in. It was pretty interesting.

So you don’t have status?

1 Like

I do, but its just the basic status. I’m going to edit that.

I have that also but its not really “status.” You don’t need to fly at all on United to be a MileagePlus Member.

Awesome review by the way! Thanks for sharing it with us :)

I do look forward for the pictures, as the TR sounds really interesting!

1 Like

I suppose so. Thanks for letting me know about that.

1 Like

No problem. PM me if you have anymore questions, also looking forward to the pictures.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.