United Airlines' Island Hopper

I recently learned of a route United flies known as their Island Hopper. I thought it would be interesting if I shared it.

What is it?
It is a route United flies connecting several islands in the Pacific flown by a Boeing 737-800. It starts in Honolulu, and the first stop (MAJ) is in Majuro, in the Marshall Islands. At all of the stops, passengers are allowed to disembark, and stretch their legs. The next stop (KWA) is the air force base in Kwajalein, also in the Marshall Islands. Then the aircraft continues to (KSA) Konsrae, in Micronesia, (PNI) Pohnpei, also in Micronesia, and (TKK) Chuuk. Finally, the aircraft makes the last leg to (GUM) Guam.

Overall, the trip takes 17 hours, including the time it takes for passengers to briefly disembark and go through customs. I thought it was very similar to the Pacific routes Pan Am flew using their clippers, although this is obviously a very miniaturized version of that.

Other Stuff
Photos:
(All photos are credit to Jonathan Khoo)

33 Likes

Looks amazing but why doesn’t united just fly direct routes from Honolulu to these destinations?

3 Likes

@anon66442947 you are doing this when you retire

4 Likes

That’s so cool! I will definitely be trying this in Infinite Flight.

1 Like

Very interesting! Maybe I’ll try this in IF sometime.

1 Like

I’ll be doing this. Interesting Route!

1 Like

I don’t think there is enough people wanting to travel to these islands to warrant them getting their own routes. Although flying them together with only one aircraft fills that demand.

3 Likes

Tom works!!?? @RTG113

1 Like

Cape Air also operates a fleet of 3(?) ATR42s in the Pacific Islands on behalf of United Express as well.

1 Like

United sends one 777 direct Honolulu to Guam and back, as Guam is a semi-major United hub. There is directs Honolulu to Majuro and Guam to Chuuk State, but those are stated above as legs in the hopper.

2 Likes

Just amazing, I can’t believe the beautiful pictures!

2 Likes

The scenery though! This seems like it would be a awesome experience for avgeeks :)

1 Like

Stunning scenery. Never knew that United operates an island-hopper.

1 Like

I wonder if this explains why I always see United B737s in China?

1 Like

They fly from Guam and Micronesia. I saw one in HKG a few years ago.

2 Likes

Wow, that’s an amazing route, definitely on my list for IF, hope, I’ll be able to fly it IRL one day 😍

1 Like

I have seen a video about the trip and looks nice. I know that Guam is one of United’s hub airports that they use to take people to other Asian countries. I tried doing the island hopper flight in IF and it was Okay. I will one day fly this route to see what is out there in the Pacific.

1 Like

I was going to do this route for United Virtual when I was in Hawaii, but I just chose to come back.

1 Like

Very intresting.

Might have to do this flight, seems very scenic.

Do you know how long it will take without those long breaks?

1 Like

That’s cool! Those pictures are really nice btw.

1 Like