United Airlines Boeing 787 Birdstrike at Sydney Airport

This Boeing 787 operating United Flight 840 from Sydney to Los Angeles for United Airlines this morning had a birdstrike on takeoff. The aircraft had to dump fuel to land safely. It created some damage to the plane, luckily not the engine. There was a fire truck on standby next to runway 34L as the Jetstar flight I was on crossed the runway in front of a jumbo on the taxiway. Unfortunately I was unable to take a photo of the truck in time, it had all its lights on getting ready to speed onto the runway from the side of the taxiway. There was quite a delay after my flight took off (the plane landed 8 minutes after my flight took off luckily, as my flight was already 30 minutes late because of a slow previous flight and refuelling) before everything was reported all clear when the emergency landing was over.

Here is a photo of the right side of my aircraft, the fire truck was on the left
Flight route from FlightRadar24

Dumping fuel over the coast of NSW

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/news/united-airlines-plane-makes-emergency-landing-in-sydney-after-bird-strike/news-story/e304b490bd7d292dca6da25344a5fdc1

6 Likes

It was a 787, not 777

Dear Lord! 😨 Poor bird.

1 Like

Ok my gosh this would not mean that if I go to Sydney ,which is planned, by all means I don’t want to end up in this situation because I’m flying with United.

1 Like

There were quite a few birds at YSSY today. One flew into the path of a rotating A330, very close! There were many aircraft departing this morning as well, including an A380, 747, 777, 787, A320, A330, 737, 717, ATR72, Dash 8-Q200/Q400 etc.

ohhh man I like birds but birds and planes don’t go well together.

1 Like

Poor bird? Poor 787!

2 Likes

But the 787 is a bird!

😑😑😑

2 Likes

I care about planes, but I care more about animals and the ecosystem.

2 Likes

Have you seen this?

So a big bird that had eaten people got hit by a little bird :-)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.