United Airlines Announces New Routes To Dubrovnik, Athens, and Reykjavik

United has announced three new long-haul routes

United Airlines has announced a new international expansion to Europe with three new long-haul routes to two existing destinations and a brand-new destination. These new routes take advantage of countries reopening to vaccinated travelers

Patrick Quayle, vice president of international network and alliances:

“As countries around the world begin the process of reopening, leisure travelers are eager to take a long-awaited getaway to new international destination. These three new routes unlock the natural beauty of the outdoors for our guests. They are also the latest example of how United is remaining nimble in rebuilding our network.”

Newark to Dubrovnik, Croatia:

• United Airlines is expanding to Croatia with nonstop service from its Newark (EWR) hub to Dubrovnik (DBV). Flights will operate three times a week using the Boeing 767-300ER, running from July 8 through October 3.
  • United Airlines will offer the only nonstop flight from the U.S. to Croatia after American Airlines ended its Philadelphia to Dubrovnik route last year.

Washington-Dulles to Athens, Greece:

• United Airlines is adding its second route into Greece with a flight from Washington-Dulles (IAD) to Athens (ATH). Flights will operate with a daily Boeing 787-8 Dreamliner, running from July 1 through October 3.
  • United already serves Athens from Newark. This seasonal route resumes in June.

Chicago to Reykjavik, Iceland:

• U.S. airlines continue to expand Iceland service. Following Delta’s announcement to launch its new Boston to Reykjavik flight, United is ready to add its next route into Iceland with Chicago (ORD) to Reykjavik (KEF).
  • Flights operate daily with the Boeing 757-200, running from July 1 through October 3.

Press Release/Image Credits

PR: United Airlines Adds New Flights to Croatia, Greece and Iceland as Countries Begin to Reopen to Vaccinated Travelers - United Hub
Image: https://www.jetphotos.com/photo/9587727

What are your thoughts on United’s new long-haul routes and its new destination of Dubrovnik?

22 Likes

Interested to see if it has anything to do with Eastern Airlines starting flights to Croatia from Chicago 😉

1 Like

Eastern planned Chicago to Sarajevo, Bosnia, but they seemed to have canceled it or at least removed all sales for the route.

But United adding Chicago to Zagreb or Dubrovnik in Croatia would be amazing.

3 Likes

I hope for any route in or out of BGI. Specifically SFO-BGI, mainly because a few Barbadians live in California

1 Like

Any new route from KORD is amazing.

But, and I doubt this happens, it would be the best day of my life if they announce an international route from KMKE. The only reason why there’s a .000001% chance of this happening was due to the new routes they offered a few weeks ago out of the blue, maybe they want to keep expanding.

2 Likes

I hope they would add new routes from SFO to anywhere in South America. Then only route to South America is Panama City.

2 Likes

United is launching flights to Bridgetown later this year from EWR/IAD, so that’s great to see. SFO-BGI is around 4,000 miles, so that would probably require a 767/787.

1 Like

Hmm, something from Chicago or Newark to Asia or Australia maybe? I’m not sure about SFO, maybe Vietnam. I wouldn’t be surprised with a IAD or IAH route going into India either, that’d still make some sense.

1 Like

I’m gonna guess that one of them is Boston to Cancun

1 Like

Yeah…they wouldn’t use that on a route to the Caribbean, the closest I’ve seen is a 764 to SJU from EWR, and that’s because of the population and demand between the two. SFO-BGT has the demand for a 739 at most if I had to take a guess.

2 Likes

Actually I’m gonna make 10 random guesses

1. Boston to Cancun
  2. Denver to Lima
  3. Houston to Santo Domingo
  4. Houston to St. Lucia
  5. Dulles to Athens
  6. O Hare to Barcelona
  7. Dulles to Panama City
  8. Dulles to Bogota
  9. Houston to Dublin
  10. Dulles to Santiago
1 Like

Any route from SFO and I’ll be happy

1 Like

And if an 739 can’t make it… a B39M?

Range is too short, they would need either a MAX-7 (which they might order) or perhaps an NMA when it comes

1 Like

I would like them to expand services to Athens!

And they announced the new routes:

Daily Chicago to Reykavik

Daily Washington Dulles to Athens

3x weekly Newark to Dubrovnik

5 Likes

Nice adds! Outdoorsy destinations which is good during this time. @NoahM you got one right

2 Likes

@RTG113 too bad 10% is an F :(

I’m also happy to see the Dubrovnik flight because maybeeee it’ll convince American to bring Dubrovnik to Philly back

1 Like

Hopefully that returns, I wanted to take that flight last year, but things happened.

Although, with AA’s international strategy shifting to be more reliant on JFK instead of PHL during COVID-19, they might aim for JFK-DBV.

1 Like

@Ishrion once again proving the absolute right instinct. Some great routes and destinations for sure. I especially can’t recommend Croatia and Greece enough, which offer breathtaking scenery and great beaches. Thanks for the updates!

1 Like