Uneven/Sloped Runways

Why would they crash?

5 Likes

The fact of the runway being uneven is not the challenge at Leeds. It’s the crosswinds created as the aircraft roll over the hills on either side on final.

4 Likes

Good post I’ve often thought of this

7 Likes

The uneven surface is an issue specifically for landing on 32. Have a look where the touchdown zone is and then have a look where the runway starts to start going down. It does mean that the emphasis is on getting the aircraft down firmly and early otherwise you may start to float since the runway starts to drop away.

Having said that you are right crosswinds have always been a problem as LBA.

8 Likes

All we have is field elevation, we have no feature that lets our airports blend into the terrain’s individual elevations :/

4 Likes

I’m not sure of the mesh resolution of IF would be enough for is to work, and the airport editors cannot at present add this using WED. So how it would work I don’t know, but good idea :)

8 Likes

And platforms too like at Madeira

3 Likes

@Boeing_777, that would be awesome, but I believe that would count as a building, and IF isn’t to that point yet. But yes, having that detail also would be a nice feature.

4 Likes

Yes, I’m pretty sure FDS would implement this after PC Version is out.

2 Likes

I can’t really bash that because it aligns with my experiences.

3 Likes

Ooooh this makes me think of La Palma, Courchevel, Lukla…
Guess this will come with global flight, just a speculation though.
I mean, they can’t give us VNLK without sloped runways, do they?
Let’ see… would be cool to have though, definitely.

5 Likes

This is almost impossible to do properly apparently. Unlikely it will ever come, even on the likes of FSX runways are flat.

2 Likes

WS17 in Oshkosh region is interesting. On one end of the runway the actual terrain is lower than the runway so it’ll look like your wheels are in the ground.

4 Likes

Oh yea, I’ve noticed that in X-Plane10.

3 Likes

@Sundayflyer, You really can’t compare this to FSX as it is an older Flight Sim than IF. Look at X-Plane 10 for example. They have seemed to master this with their sloped runways. If anything, I’d say its not possible on mobile device, but like I said earlier, this would most likely come way after it is out for PC.

2 Likes

Would be nice to have in Infinite Flight…

4 Likes

Is that only on PC, or on iPad as well?

1 Like

guernsey runway as it was being built EGJB

5 Likes

@Potato_pilot, this feature is not on Mobile for X-plane as it would be too hard to implement this on mobile. Im very sure that once IF becomes a PC game, the DEVS would consider this feature.

3 Likes

Yes! This will add so much realism to IF!

3 Likes