Understanding METARs Part 1

Hey everyone!

I have received several messages from people asking me how to read the METARs, what is it, what do all the codes mean, etc. So today, I am sharing a tutorial video that covers the basics of reading METARs. This is just the first part of a video series that will follow in the near future. METARs are not difficult to learn or read, but there is a lot of information that simply cannot be shared in one short video. This video will simply cover the basics of it and how its broken down. Future videos will elaborate more on each section.

Hopefully this will help anyone that has any questions to understand the basics. If you have any questions, feel free to leave them below!

Happy and Safe Landings!

76 Likes

Ahh! Wonderful! I’ve been waiting for this one!

1 Like

Great tutorial Mark! Thank you very much!

1 Like

Amazing tutorial!

1 Like

As well as a great tutorial, great thumbnail too!

1 Like

Isn’t it ICAO code? Or IATA code?
@Mark_Denton

Anyway, this video is really helpful as I wanted learn about METAR and TAF.
And, looking forward to upcomming videos!

3 Likes

Its the ICAO code

4 Likes

Nice video. This may help as well:

1 Like

Dang it Mark. You beat me to it as I was about to released one on my youtube channel.

Are you going to do one for European airports as they have different METARs? Or is the difference so small that it isnt needed?

Well in the video you say ICOA and ICOA is written :/

2 Likes

It’s ICAO, that was a typo on my part (I do know that it is ICAO). I will make the correction when I cover it in the video for that section. Thanks for bringing to my attention. I have added an annotation to the video. Thanks guys!

7 Likes

It isn’t too different between the two. Visibility is in metres rather than miles and pressure is in hecto pascals and not inHg.

1 Like

Windy in Honolulu this morning wow.

What altitude does the METAR go up to? Or does it only apply within tower’s airspace?

1 Like

The METAR is read at the surface so that’s the winds you get. You use winds aloft for anything above 3,000 ft.

It’s the weather measured at the airfield itself.

This helped me out so much @Mark_Denton!! Thank you so much! I feel wiser lol

Great Mark!
However, you still need to teach us a lot before you enter the live side, for Example, how to use trim properly, how to use lights Properly, how to deal with winds in Takeoff or Crusing, how to well-park your Aircraft…etc so pilot can be Acknowledged well before being more advanced, also these things will give the pilot an idea on what will go on next, and will give him a great result on the grond, during Takeoff, Crusing, and Landing!

Keep up the work!