Understanding Flare & How to Use It

Definition

Flare, one of the arts of landing an aircraft, is performed to execute a smooth landing, and without flare, lets just say your back might have some pains in the coming days. Jokes aside, flare is not only important for you, but for the aircraft.

When to use it?

Flare is used at around 20 feet above the surface of the runway. In some instances, some pilots may flare at 10 feet depending on the weather conditions, but keep in mind flaring at 10 feet opposed to 20 feet will result in a much quicker, and rougher landing. Performing a flare at 20 feet will ensure 2-4 seconds of time to lightly hit the ground with the back gears touching first, followed by the nose gear.

How do I perform a flare?

Performing a flare is quite simple. Once you are 20 feet above the runway, tilt the plane up at approximately a 3-5 degree pitch, and moderately reduce the throttle to idle. Once your gears touch the ground, slowly bring the nose gear down, in order to ensure a smooth, greased, landing.

30 Likes

I find this very well fit for the #tutorials section. Simple yet easy to understand! Awesome work there, sir!

Smooth Skies
Nate

4 Likes

It also depends slightly on aircraft. For example you could have an ultra light aircraft and a 747 and they would be different

This is what the “retard” callout is for (for anyone who didn’t know) ;)

2 Likes

But the A320 has always been a tough one for me. Whenever I flare at 20-15 feet and reduce the throttle to idle the plane lands hard. But I’m able to control the nose for a greasy landing. Any tips for this one? Much appreciated

@Sudhanva_Ganesh - for the A320 family land without spoilers. Only deploy them after front wheels are on the ground.

Actually the “Retard” as stated by Airbus is not a command but a reminder. Pilot’s don’t have to wait for the call out, I’ve seen numerous techniques from a deliberate delay to well before the call out. Many ways to skin a potato :)

2 Likes

Thank you very much, this really helped

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.