Ultra High Winds @ KLAX

Was just doing a normal Delta VA route to KPSP and all of a sudden I’m hit with a 289 kt wind for about three minutes!

10 Likes

Wow, that’s intense. Hopefully you were able to bug out before any violations.

3 Likes

Yes, thankfully I was able to get out of it without receiving any violations haha

5 Likes

That’s very unusual. The only time I was hit with a lot of wind that caused a bit of turbulence was when I was flying from Seattle to Portland, and as I was starting final approach. Nothing this severe before though. I’m glad to hear that you got out of it without any violations.

1 Like

Those Winds are Crazy! Glad you made it out without getting any violations :)

Everyone come to free flight server! There are 175 knots at Torrence. KTOA south of KLAX

1 Like

Caught @Kyle.r24 at KTOA :) Looka at those Winds!

IMG_0153

5 Likes

there right now it’s crazy LOL

Well it appears it just stopped, as it’s 9:00 PM here and the METAR gets updated hourly, it likely realized it’s glitch and then went back to normal. It was fun while it lasted! I couldn’t even turn into the wind without my 737 being blown backwards into the air, stalling out and crashing LOL
I measured sustained 175 knots winds, which is 201 MPH! Worse then almost every category 5 hurricane

1 Like

Does Infinite Flight’s real time weather pick up microbursts? That could be an explanation, although in the picture it seemed the sky was clear, rather than cloudy.

1 Like

IMG_3144!
In this one as soon as I lined up (or attempted to) with the runway I got blown backwards LOL

1 Like

May be, I think IF only takes metar for airports and determinated points…

1 Like

I’m actually in the LAX area right now (real life) and I highly doubt any unusual weather like what we just saw.

All is calm here

1 Like

IMG_3149
@Kyle.r24 u good brother?
(Yes his plane was sitting like that!)

5 Likes

Just think, pretty soon 175kts will be the norm at cruising altitudes if you’re lucky to find the jet stream. 😁

9 Likes

That would actually be pretty funny to see a plane cruising normally, you’d set your device down and walk away and then hit the jet stream and spiral down to the ocean/land below and crash, you’d come back to your device some time later to see 20 speeding violations and grade 2

2 Likes

I hate to get too far off topic, but I’m hoping that the transition to and from the jet stream is relatively smooth. Meaning, I hope its not an instant 80kt+ jump in our ground speed.

4 Likes

I can just imagine all the noobs on Ts1 who got caught in the middle of it 😂😂

3 Likes

Let’s hope their souls are at peace :(

2 Likes

175 knots, wow. Metar glitch happened to me once, got 150 knots cross wind when my 737-800 was on final to KDEN. Had to go around, but could barely keep it in air over runway so I just quit at that moment.