Two Weeks of Summer Spotting | Munich, August 9 - 20, 2020

Welcome back!

Since I was kinda busy - with spotting, what else? - I couldn’t keep my pace of a weekly topic up. As a little compensation, this topic will feature the several spotting trips I took since my last topic.
And we start right where we left last time. After it had arrived on Saturday, the 8th, the IL76 of Volga Dnepr eventually left for Delhi the day after. I took this opportunity to meet a good friend at one of our spotter hills for a drink and for some spotting of the flying window shop the IL is.

Several days later, I went back to the airport quickly to complete the selection of EXPO 777s by finally spotting their green livery more or less properly. Since the light is rather dull in this picture, I might still need another try though.

The first longer spotting day followed last weekend. In addition to the normal traffic, we once again saw a visit of a royal 747.

Since it only dropped of the Emir of Bahrain for a medical check, the plane left for the Kingdom in the Arabian Gulf about 2 hours later.

An hour after that departure, we got a newcomer to Munich. For the first time ever, Thai Airways sent its A350 to Munich. For now, it was a one-time event though, since the flight was operating as a cargo flight inbound and as a repatriation flight on the way back to Bangkok. Since the landing happened in rather bad weather, we also waited for the departure - which unfortunately happened in good weather but already 15 minutes past sunset making the conditions even more challenging.

The last spotting day in this thread only happened this Thursday and it turned out to be a day with the most specials. After a break due to Corona, Germany and Austria started deportation flights again resulting in special movements like this Georgian Airways 737 operating from and, seen here, back to Tibilisi.

While we used to get several 767s and 777s of the airline before Corona, United returned to Munich only with 787s, including both, the 787-8 and -10, which is seen speeding up for the flight to Newark in this picture.

A few hours later, things got a bit stressful. While we were used to single runway operations for several months, now both runways are operating again. While we still use one runway for landing and one for departures, there are still exceptions to the rule. The following Falcon 900 of Gazpromavia initially was told to expect 26R like all other planes, but was then asked by the director if they wanted to continue for an ILS approach 26L due to its parking position. As a consequence, I raced down to the southern runway to still get a shot of it.

The next inbound we were waiting for came immediately after and got an ILS approach for 26R, so it meant back into the car and racing back for the landing of Privilige Style’s 777-200, also inbound from Tibilisi after a deportation flight to Islamabad a few days earlier.

To get a new perspective, we changed the runway again for the arrival of the FedEx 777 from Paris before finally going back to the airport fence for a last departure.

TradeAir’s Fokker 100 was also involved in the deportation operations this week and brought Austrian police officers back to Vienna. I was kinda happy to finally spot it, since I really like the colorful livery of the charter airline.

After spotting for 8 hours, I had already spent more time at the airport than initially planned, but one special livery was still about to arrive. I had already spotted it before in Frankfurt, but since it’s one of my favorite schemes I decided to stay and take a little hike through high grass once again to get a shot with decent light - and it turned out to be one of my favorite shots of the year (so far).

Thanks for visiting this topic! I hope you liked it! See you for the next topic ;)

My Equipment:

Canon EOS 80D
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM (99% of pics)
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS II USM (for wide angle pics)

Backup / Old Lenses

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (for the 1% of the cases where I needed a wide angle lens, replaced by the 24-105 now)
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS STM (for the majority of my very old pics, bascially completely replaced by the 100-400 now)

You can follow me on twitter and Instagram to get more shots on a daily basis. Also, keep your eyes open on Flightradar24 where you might see some of my recent shots.

Twitter

https://twitter.com/mba_muc

Instagram

https://www.instagram.com/mba_muc/

Recorded Flights on my YouTube channel

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCpZj4wOuWR_dXj1jkfjA1xg

My spotting topics on the IFC (sorted by years since this is slowly getting endless)

Spring Spotting 1
Spring Spotting 2 with Lorenzo
Spring Spotting 3 (feat. Hekla Aurora)
August spotting with some sunrise shots
September 30 with quite some special liveries and bizjets
Spotting in Zurich on the way to Cosford
Spotting Laura and more in Birmingham
Spotting in fog with a sunny end

Special planes at Munich - Munich Security Conference feat. E-4B
Valentine’s Spotting 2019 - Civil Traffic around the Munich Security Conference
Retro Time - British Airways BEA A319
First weekend in Innsbruck - Charter Flights in the Alps
Second Innsbruck Spotting Weekend
Bringing Israeli soldiers to Munich - El Al 747
Another visit of ElAl’s queen - El Al 747
Spotting in the Morning Sun - South African Special Livery A340-300
A full day of Spotting
London Calling - Spotting at MUC and LCY on the way to London
London Heathrow Evening Spotting Before the Meetup
London Heathrow Meetup Spotting
Last Day at Heathrow: Landor, Negus and more
Government Jets and New Perspectives at Munich Airport
One Day Spotting Trip to Frankfurt Airport
Spotting Trip to Berlin
A lot of Specials at Munich
Quick after work spotting for a private A340
Another Sunny Spotting Day in Fall
Spotting with a Female closer than 5 miles, so definitely click even though she’s in none of the Pics!!!
Day and Night Shots at Munich
Deicing and more
Condor’s new colors and a big chopper
Stunning Condensations and a Royal 747
Azimuth Superjet and more for the last topic in a decade

Birthday Spotting
The Final EXPO A380
Special Cargos in the Evening
Zurich’s Airline Traffic during the WEF Week
Air Force One Ramp Tour
Air Force One Arriving in Zurich
Heavy Contrasts for Air Malta’s Retro Jet
First Two Days of SiKo - Kuwait A340, Russia Il96
Amazing Security Conference Perspectives feat. Kuwait’s A340 and more
Etihad’s Choose China Livery
Security Conference Final
Trying A New Position for Condor‘s and United‘s New Liveries
Last Specials Prior to the Corona Break
First Spotting Trip After the Corona Restrictions With Some Cargo Specials
50 Years Special Livery on a Rescue Helicopter
Spotting AN-22 in Leipzig
Spotting the Last Departing A340s of Lufthansa
First Visit of Qatar’s OneWorld A350-1000
AN124 and Other Specials in Munich
Spotting in Frankfurt With Several Specials
Early Morning Cargo Movements
Government Flights at Munich
Military & Special Spotting at Ingolstadt and Neuburg AFB
DC3, Hekla Aurora and an EXPO livery at Munich
The First Visit of an Airbus Beluga XL
Summer Spotting Ending with Engine Light
IL76 Spotting in the Summer Heat

Honorable mentions, TLDRs and Reminders

TL;DR service for @dush19: Actually, I can’t be bothered to continue this any longer but: Planes, Planes, Planes.
@MrMrMan: Look, something new to quote again!
@Marc you’re welcome 😉
@Nathan time to visit this place again
@Balloonchaser since you will come here anyway…
@JulianB just want to be sure you don’t miss it

49 Likes

And now I beat everyone to the first reply so woopie I’m just beating everyone.

(That makes a lot less sense if your not in the PM 😂)

1 Like

I’m so proud lol

Where the heck is @Balloonchaser though?!

3 Likes

Oooh lala 😍

Also, second. @Balloonchaser ya slow boi.

2 Likes

Facts, he’s slouching I guess.

1 Like

Third…?

Eh, at least I beat @Balloonchaser 😎

A220 = Likey Likey

2 Likes

Fabulous!!!

1 Like

Who’s gonna say it 😛

3 Likes

Sorry to disappoint you, but you aren’t the first to say that the pics look great 😜

3 Likes

Perhaps that’s not what I’m referring to 🤔

2 Likes

stop ✋ you violated the law

great shots as always!

4 Likes

it

i did

2 Likes

You should have given the opportunity to pull the joke to the king of puns though

I’m sure he will anyways when he checks the forum again in a year or so.

2 Likes

Me: Sees Moritz’s glorious 747 photo on IFC
Also me: Hears loud aircraft engine
Also me: Sees 747

Coincidence?
I think yes.

Awesome shots as always!

Edit: Also me: Checks FR24 and finds 2 other 747s near DFW
Maybe we’re not that boring after all…

1 Like

The glorious iL-76 is just stunning! Lucky you had a chance to spot this Russian beast. 🔥

1 Like

Man I just love your topics! Wether it’s about barking dogs or spotting special aircraft, you have definitely become one of my top favorite spotters!

1 Like

hi… uhh… nice photos, eh?

^ First

6 Likes

18th, first, same thing, I mean 18 is a multiple of one 🤷🏻‍♂️

3 Likes

Well, you were close…-ish…👀 I mean what are a few hours compared to the age of the universe

2 Likes