Two MD-87 firefighting air tankers will deploy to Australia

The companies supplying the four additional large air tankers that will be mobilizing to help the firefighters in Australia have been identified. 10 Tanker Air Carrier will deploy two DC10s, Tanker 912 and Tanker 914 will be deploying. Erickson Aerotankers will deploy two MD-87s, Tankers 102 and Tanker 103. One of the DC-10s, T-912 is expected to arrive in Australia on January 15 to be followed by Tanker 914 around January 25 after their heavy maintenance is wrapped up. Tanker 911 is currently in Australia.

This additional surge capacity was announced by Australian Prime Minister Scott Morrison on January 4, saying $20 million would be provided for leasing four more large air tankers as supplementary to the normal fleet for the current season only. Mr. Morrison also said 3,000 Australian Defense Force reservists would be brought in to help with bushfire recovery efforts.

Contracts were already in place in Australia for four large privately owned large air tankers and nine large Type 1 helicopters. In addition they have the 737 that the New South Wales Rural Fire Service purchased earlier this year. A C-130Q and a DC-10 were added in November when it became painfully obvious that the 2019/2020 bushfire season was going to be much busier than average. The DC-10s and the MD-87s that will be there in a matter of days will bring the Aussie large air tanker fleet up to 11 for this fire season.

Before 2010 Australia’s air tanker fleet consisted almost entirely of single engine air tankers. That year they began trials of large and very large air tankers, including a DC-10.

32 Likes

Finally some serious action taking place!

3 Likes

The Madogs are not over yet!

6 Likes

Yay! Australia is gonna get the fires over and done with, with the added bonus of seeing mad dogs…

2 Likes

Hopefully it helps stop them advancing!

2 Likes

This proves that the MD-80 is not as obsolete as you think. Although airlines are retiring them, they still have years ahead of them as cargo and private aircraft, or an air tanker! I’m glad that the MadDog is going to live on, (at least for now).

On another side of it, aside from me being happy about the planes being MD-80s. This was needed to stop the fires from advancing through Australia, and eventually put them out completely. Good decision to put these planes back in service for a good reason — stopping the fires. Hope those fires get put out soon, and I wish the best to the people in Australia.

3 Likes

The primary job of tankers and stuff is attempt to stop advancing fires, now trying put actual fires out unless small they’re pretty useless. Thats why the USFS and BLM main goal isn’t to put a fire out it’s actually allow it to burn but advance very slowly so it burn itsself out

1 Like

I was speaking about both putting hem out, and stopping the advancement of the fires, (as seen below). But either way, I’m not a wildfire expert.

1 Like

This is so cool! I want to hear the sound of those JT8D engines flying low.

1 Like

They’re super cool! They were up hear a while ago

6 Likes

MD = Amazing.

2 Likes

That’s good that’s happening. We have some of those tankers down here in California for the fires as well. Stay safe!

1 Like

Yeah, I got to see these amazing aircraft here in Northern California, and they’re amazing! Glad these Mad dogs are being put to good use.

2 Likes

Best news I’ve seen all day, awesome!

Great to hear that we have more support & resources coming in to fight these fires, hopefully this can provide an amount of relief to the firies that have been at it non-stop since day one.

A pure example of the absolute mind-blowing capacity & much needed relief these aircraft can bring to the fires can be seen in these videos below. Crazy!

Additionally, the pilots flying into these devastating conditions should also be widely recognised, the amount of skill and professionalism they bring to the table is just outstanding!

4 Likes

Tanker 102 off to Australia!

5 Likes

Today in current events class at school we talked about the fires in Australia and the fires look and are really bad let’s hope this act brings the fires down

1 Like

Tanker 103 has officially arrived!

5 Likes

Any idea where it’s being situated in Australia?
RAAF base Richmond?

1 Like

But that says 103 on it

1 Like

Tanker 102 and 103 are in Australia supporting operations this was shared as 102 began its trip