Two aircraft arriving at glide slope from left and right trafic at the same time. Who goes first?

Yesterday I was descending into EGLL and arrived at the ILS glide slope from left traffic at the exact same time as another aircraft from right traffic. There was no ATC.
Who goes first?
I was at the glide slope altitude. The other aircraft was above the glide slope.
He didn’t turn, so I decided to make a left 360.
Is there a rule for a situation like this?

3 Likes

Its like driving a car, give way to your right!

8 Likes

Is it really that simple? Cool! Thanks! :)

If you’re were making a straight in for the ILS, check the navigation lights! Red Light means THEY give way, Green Light means YOU give way! :D

6 Likes

@Captain_DJ is right (I think)
I don’t know another solution for this

Aircraft at the lower altitude has the right away.

3 Likes

Hmm. Contradicting information again.
Both make sense though.
What now?

1 Like

Use altitude if altitudes vary, and use right of way if at the same altitude. Simple.

1 Like

If it’s EGLL, I would’ve changed runway.

They were using 09L for outgoing and 09R for incoming quite some time, but it would have been possible I guess. All communication had been for 09R. Feels weird to change at the last minute.

I think you mean 07L and 07R, but LHR sometimes changes the odd plane to a different runway, even if normal arrivals are on a different runway.

Actually I meant 09L and R. LOL! :)

1 Like

OMG LOL ROFL

That’s when he knew he fk’d up.

Makes sense! :)

1 Like

MaxSez: By guess and by God! The Peanuts need to think, read the FAR and stop loading horse hockey into serious discussions. Here’s what the “Book” Sez:

FAR 91.113

Right-of-way rules

1. An aircraft in distress has priority over all others
  2. Balloon
  3. Glider
  4. Airship
  5. An aircraft towing or refueling another aircraft

Converging head-on: Both aircraft give way to the right.

Overtaking: The aircraft being overtaken has the right of way, and the pilot of the overtaking aircraft shall alter course to the right and pass well clear.

Landing: Aircraft, while on final approach to land, have the right of way over other aircraft in flight…When two or more aircraft are approaching an airport for the purpose of landing, the aircraft with the lower altitude has the right of way, but shall not take advantage of the rule to cut in front of another which is on final approach to land or to overtake that aircraft.

(KISS Rule for Controllers: The lowest aircraft in the stack or on approach is “First”!)

10 Likes

Thanks @Maxmustang!

1 Like

…you all can learn from this Pro!

do not speculate but consult the documentation!

adherence to standard operating procedures helps a lot

Thanks @Maxmustang

5 Likes

He is a genius. But my I was thinking while reading this thread is the lowest aircraft should have right of way because it’s closer to land than the other ones so it makes no sense to have it go around when it is closer to land.

Not always that’s why the FAR specificly states that no aircraft should take advantage of this rule to overtake another aircraft on final. @Bulba

1 Like

Ohh ok alright I see so the theory I made was an aircraft taking advantage of that rule.

1 Like