Turning with spoilers

When I watch Matt Davies or I fly for real I always see the spoilers out when they turn why is that?

Credit Matt Davies

3 Likes

It changes the airflow over the wings allowing for a better turn.

11 Likes

Why is it forbidden to use the spoilers while turning 🤔

It’s forbidden? Where did you hear that

Lol it’s not. That’s how the control surfaces work. They are coupled with the ailerons

3 Likes

Do use them when you turn?

On sharper turns yes. But only one side of spoilers go up, not both.

Thad not how it works. It isn’t modeled correctly in If but they are coupled with the ailerons. You don’t have a choice

1 Like

And it helps them turn sharply?

Interesting where did you see this? I want to know more about that ☺

They use spoilers to slow the plane in the air. What’s really interesting is when you hear them, say if your on the ground and a plane is above you, you can hear them be deployed. It is a very high pitched wooosh sound, sound almost fake.

2 Likes

No. It helps the wing react quicker. It didn’t really change the turning radius, but it lets the wing move easier up and down. More down force.

1 Like

It happens all the time. Go look on YouTube or do a flight on FSX. When you do a sharp turn, the wing pointing down all have spoilers activated. As @Rodney_Buckland said, they are coupled with the ailerons

2 Likes

Can anyone guess the place Matt is flying

Here’s a quick Google search results.

1 Like

Spoilerons, it’s what they’re called. They’re designed with the philosophy that the wing which roll downward during turning don’t need lift on the wing, so the spoilers are partly deployed to partially lower lift on the wing which roll downwards in addition to the ailerons which makes turning more easier and responsive for the pilot.

4 Likes

Better explanation than what I did, Gj

1 Like

If your on a canoe or a kayak and you put your paddle on one side, it turns to that side cause of the drag of the water. Same concept.

1 Like

He was flying in San Francisco, he made a left over the bridges, headed back to Amsterdam. I watched the video long before this post, so I’m not psychic or anything.

1 Like

They are technically called Spoilerons. Used for high speed sharp turns when ailerons have limited affect. Technically when you are pulling the high turns in IF there should be Spoilers used also. Something I hope that is added in the future.

1 Like