Turning Radius

Hey guys,
Does anybody know what the degree markings are and which ones are 10 degrees, 15 degrees, 30 degrees etc?

1 Like

Correction, the big marks are 30 degrees each.

2 Likes

It’s 10 degrees for each bar :).
The formula for the turning radius is the following.

R = (v^2)/(11.26tan(ß))

With:

• R being the radius
  • v being your true airspeed in kts
  • ß being the bank angle in degrees
  • (11.26 being the conversion factor for the units involved, (incase you’re wondering))

Hope that helped!

10 Likes

Exactly. 10° for each small bar and the big bars are 30° each

2 Likes

Oh. So that’s what the formula is. That was the day I didn’t pay attention in math class. I just googled my answers. I guess I was a bad student. 😂

14 Likes

10, 20, 30, 45, 60. Just like IRL according to G-Metre.

Yes. That is correct. But I think the original poster was referring to the other lines that arc across the top

1 Like

Copy. Thank you

1 Like

So the last two bars would be 40 and 50 right?

Use 15-20 degrees while climbing and turning or descending and turning , 30 degrees for straight and level turns. 45 degrees for steep turns

I believe that 45° gives about 1.41G, so better do it when everyone is sitting at the back!
60° should give 2G! So better do it when there is no back!

1 Like

I asked this a few months ago, answers here helped.

so the last 2 on the sides are 40 and 50 correct?

Yes! Just take it as the tool used at school to learn about and measure angles.

What does the rest (^) mean?

Square of V.

It’s used to signify the superscript for exponents used when written freehand. For example 3 cubed would be written with a normal three with a superscripted 3 next to it. But since that’s not usually possible iwithout the formatting of a word processing program, it’s written 3^3 instead.

In this particular equation it just means v-squared. So if TAS were 100 knots (for ease of calculation), v^2 would be 100 times 100, or 10,000.

As posted previously in the thread linked above:

A rough rule of thumb is 15% of your true airspeed (TAS)

So 100kts would be 15 degrees, 200 kts 30 degrees and 220 kts (holding speed in a big jet) 22+11 = 33 degrees.

Worked pretty well for me in the past! ;D

And what about the pitch degrees?

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.