Turning off an engine

I’m headed to EDDF from RPLL in an A340 and i might just be little less on fuel, so i noticed that turning off an engine saves lots of fuel (Eng 3 in this case)while still maintaining speed but is it a safe and practical thing to do?

1 Like

I mean if it works for you, I guess do it. But realistically, never

5 Likes

In Real life they probably wouldn’t unless they absolutely needed to. Just remember the higher you climb the less fuel you burn. You also use les fuel the lighter you get, hope this helps!

4 Likes

I’m at fl300 could you suggest an alt?

I would highly suggest not to do this as you’ll be taking some of the power of your aircraft away forcing your other engines to work harder and will make you lose fuel more.

2 Likes

Go to 32,000 then 34,000 then 36,000 maybe 38,000 if you need it.

2 Likes

This isn’t always true. Try taking a fully loaded B748 to FL370 in comparison to FL290 and see how much the fuel consumption differs. Saying you burn less fuel at a higher altitude doesn’t make much sense when you don’t account for weight and balance.

1 Like

That’s because you are to heavy and would stall causing you to lose more fuel.

1 Like

I have done step climbs before and it worked. Also, happy birthday!

1 Like

What @Sashaz55 is referring to is probably “Step Climb”. It’s basically a procedure where you climb higher deeper into the flight as you burn off more fuel and get lighter in order to increase the efficiency of fuel flow. Although I wouldn’t recommend doing this in the B747 as it’s poorly modelled.

I step climb based on my pitch: I try to keep my pitch on 1.5-2 degrees, and 2.5 on 787/747 family. The 787 and 747 tend to cruise with a higher pitch, irl and in IF.

1 Like

In reality I don’t know about A340 but,
B747 can work without engine no. 3
Dash-8, b737 & A320 can work without engine no. 2
(On ground)

In the real world, pilots will really only turn an engine off if there is a long taxi or queue ahead. A commercial jet aircraft has enough power from a single engine (or 2 on on 4-engine aircraft) to taxi on the ground - not to efficiently sustain flight.

We can use this practice in Infinite Flight; an example would be a busy queue of aircraft on a Friday Night Flight - we can use one engine while waiting to save fuel.

They’re talking about mid-flight.

I just explained that pilots will only turn an engine/s off if there is a long wait ahead.

Realistically you would NEVER turn off an engine mid-flight unless there’s an engine failure. If you were running low on fuel, you would divert to an airport en route, refuel, and continue to your destination, which is the course of action I would’ve recommended for you.

In the next update the developers need to add reserve to the weight and balance GUI so that people don’t have to overfuel in a bid to save fuel.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.