TUI forces family to sit on floor during flight

A Tui airlines flight from Mahon to Birmingham was full, when a family arrived and they had already bought their tickets. They were placed in crew flip up jump seats and at some parts of the flight had to sit on the floor. Is this outrageous? I want to see what others think. Who is at wrong here Tui or the family for not getting off the plane?

14 Likes

I think they should have been boarded onto the next flights with a full ticket refund. That is just disgusting

4 Likes

Utterly disgusting. Stupidity I should say. Give them a refund.

4 Likes

I would sue the airline. Not only is it appalling, but the floors are nasty, sitting and during drink service (if TUI does that), and could of became dangerous if an emergency or turbulence occurred!

1 Like

Terrible experience to give a passenger! This is no where near how passengers should be treated!

Apparently, the airline offered to rebook them, but they didn’t want to rebook. ¯_(ツ)_/¯

5 Likes

Is that safe? If some extreme turbulence occurred they could be hurt.

1 Like

They’ve been issued a full refund and TUI claimed that there was an aircraft change which the system didn’t pick up. The seat configuration on the aircraft that it was changed too had them missing seats compared to the original aircraft that was meant to be used

1 Like

No this is against CAA rules as every passenger must have a seat for the whole duration of the flight. Sadly as is the case a lot now they only offered around about £30 so it had to be publicised for them to recieve the refund.

5 Likes

What gets me is, what if the cabin depressurized? Would they have an oxygen mask?

5 Likes

And that is the problem. Even if the airline offered full compensation and more, the family would still be in severe danger should anything happen.

4 Likes

Very dangerous! Does the FAA even allow that?

1 Like

This happened in Europe, not the USA. FAA has no jurisdiction.

5 Likes

Aren’t there International laws for what airlines can and can’t do?

1 Like

Wait, if they used the jump seats, then where did the flight crew sit during takeoff & landing?
But if those jump seats were not planned on being occupied, why weren’t they allowed to sit in them the entire flight?

1 Like

Shouldn’t pilot aware that and not allow such action?

3 Likes

Very disturbing case, the individuals common sense should have surely kicked in when they boarded the plane and realised first hand what they were in for however. Personally feel there is more to this story, but TUI shouldn’t have let it come to this so they take responsibility and blame ultimately.

2 Likes

From the way I have interpreted what is written, they sat on the floor when crew needed to get items, which I’m guessing is probably trolleys for serving etc. I’d assume it was their own choice to sit on the floor rather than stand and wait a short while for the crew to get out of there way again. Exaggerated article in my opinion.

4 Likes

Still, to my knowledge the only people allowed to sit on jumpseats are crew members(active or deadheading), TUI UK should’ve denied them boarding no matter how much the passengers insisted.

Edit: Funny how my profile picture is a TUI 787

5 Likes

I’m not sure if I’m right, but I think the ICAO, IATA and mainly, the CAA have power🤷‍♂️

1 Like