TSV-SYD Trip Report

Hey all, today I went on a trip to Coffs Harbour, with a 4/5 hour stop over at Sydney, but I’ll be doing the Townsville to Sydney flight. The flight today was operated by Virgin Australia on their 737-800, and the callsign, VA1516. The flight was 2 hours and 20 minutes long.Quick note, all the photos that are used are just going to be random photos and will probably not relate to the topic, only because I didn’t get photos for each topic.

Awaiting pushback/At the Airport

Getting to the airport was easy and fast. My flight had a planned departure of 6:40am, so I had to get up a 4:00am and be at the airport by 5:30. It was fairly busy in the airport because there was 4 or 5 flights before my flight. It was dark, and I couldn’t see much but while I was driving past the airport, there was about 5 RAAF C-130s at the RAAF apron, so it made a perfect opportunity to see RAAF aircraft and get a view of them while the aircraft is departing. We boarded the aircraft from the back, as I was in seat 17A. This was such a good seat as It gave you a perfect wing view and still be able to see the ground. After sitting in the aircraft and missing our departure time, they told us that we were going to be delayed because of fog and rain down in Sydney. Our departure time was now 7:00am, but they did come around offering water or juice.
IMG_2342

IMG_2345

Takeoff and Cruise

Take off from Townsville was smooth at first then turned rough due to turbulence. After turning past the Ross damn, turbulence hit hard, the plane rocked, and the plane dropped abit twice. I kinda like tho, but on the other hand, I was kinda freaking out. I got some good shots taking off over the city, as well as seeing a lot, and I mean, a lot of RAAF aircraft. Once we got to cruise, it was a smooth flight, but little bits of turbulence along the way. The food system with Virgin Australia, is, well, strange I would say. Unlike Qantas where you get free food on any flight, Virgin Australia makes you pay for food if you want it on short flights. They only tend to give you a biscuit and water or juice. I didn’t bother paying for food as I was going to eat for when I got to Sydney airport. In-flight entertainment was pretty good in my opinion. There was a few select movie choices but they were good movies.
IMG_2353
IMG_2356 IMG_2360

Approach/Landing

The approach into Sydney airport was amazing. Coming in over mountains then flying near the Harbour bridge and the city. Approach was smooth and no holding pattern was made, which was good because then we wouldn’t be late. After a few minutes of descending towards the airport, we finally touched down on runway 16L. The landing felt really hard and then they braked hard as well, but managed to stop and exit the runway. Taxing was fun, seeing all the international flights landing and taking off. My favourite part was seeing the Delta Air Lines 777-200LR. We had to stop at the runway 25 hold short line because we had to wait for a gate to be free after all the flights were affected earlier that morning. We had to wait about 20 minutes until one of the gates was free. In the 20 minutes, I was a really great opportunity to spot and take pictures of aircraft.
IMG_2365
IMG_2377 IMG_2380 IMG_2384 IMG_2391

Overall experience

The flight was great, and I would gladly do it again. The cabin crew was very nice and were always smiling. The only down side to this flight is that you had to pay for food or drinks that weren’t on offer, coffee,coke,hot food etc etc.

Thanks for stopping by and hope you enjoyed reading this.

13 Likes

Very nicely done. Like it. Happy you had a nice trip

1 Like

Looks good 👍 I always have good experiences with Virgin… I just wish I could fly with them more. Enjoy Coffs!

2 Likes

Bro, that is I mighty Trip Report 🤙

1 Like

You had probably the best views out the window

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.