Tsumia’s ATC Tracking Thread - [CLOSED] @N/A

Right, @Tsumia interesting session with quite a few thing to learn from. In case you did not know I was N121WS, Display name: IFAE Captain Cign.

Feedback

• It all started at the very beginning with giving me the right runway to taxi to, you gave me 23L this is wrong, where possible always give the pilot the runway nearest to them, fortunately you corrected this well with the correction, stand by command, no problems there!

• Next problem was near takeoff me and both the 777 requested takeoff at the same time, ok no problem there however you cleared us for the takeoff in the wrong order, to promote maximum efficiency you should have cleared me to takeoff and then told the 777 to line up and wait on the intersection behind me. This would not have been a problem as the 777 can handle this sort of wake turbulence. Always think ahead because if the 777 had taken off first and I had made a tight pattern we would have been right next to eachother and one of us would have to go extra far out for separation. It is tricky at the start but thinking ahead is key! [This is not something necessarily in the Test but it is good practice.]

• I am in a lighter aircraft correct, the XCUB with a slow takeoff speed meaning there was no way on earth I would have been able to catch up with the 777 so to promote efficiency you should have cleared me for takeoff as soon as he passed my intersection. This takes judgement and it is key to be in IFATC. [This can be found in the Perfect Test Video]

• Try to give commands quicker you are taking an extremely long time, confusing us pilots. It may improve as sessions continue and you begin to memorise the UI.

• With @MJP_27 left downwind after the transition you forgot to sequence him this is SO SO SO important and must be done so as not to confuse pilots. More can be found in the Manual.

• Frequency change for the 777 should be given once out of the airspace not in a different country! The quicker you give him a change the less complicated it gets for you because you have less flight strips on your display.

• You want to keep the runways separate so when I asked for 23R you should have given me right downwind otherwise you will just end up confusing yourself and others. This does not apply with terrain however there was no terrain.

• When I said G/A with my wrong runway test you NEED to respond to my G/A otherwise I have no clue and get confused as the pilot. As @MJP_27 check runway was late however I am not too worried as I did make a sharp turn giving you less time. G/A is important though.

• Make sequences and clearances earlier, the quicker you do it the better for you and me!

• Exit runway was late and you should have given me exit runway to the LEFT and cross/hold short of 23L just to promote efficiency and all because there was no exit on the right.

Conclusion
Wheww decent session, thats the biggest reply I have ever done :)

Cigning off

1 Like

Better to give me right downwind so as not to confuse you :)

Do tell me if you are confused by anything in my reply :)

Now open at HLLT. Runways 09 and 18 in use.

Closed down.

Now open at KTLH.

Hello 👋🏻

Callsign: Viper 0.

• Transition altitude needed to be 2500ft. The formula is: aerodrome level ( in this case is 0ft as 83ft is way more close to 0 than 500) + 1500 ft for a normal pattern altitude + 1000ft and that’s your pattern altitude for most of the cases.

• Correct pattern entry on first call for T & G.

• No traffic pattern direction given when cleared for the option.

• correct pattern entry when asked for runway change.

• Again no traffic pattern direction when i was cleared

• runway 36 doesn’t have a runway exit on the left, so “when able turn right” is more appropriate than “exit runway when able”.

All in all good joob. Good luck!

1 Like

Thanks for your Feedback!

1 Like

I’ll come in about 15 minutes

Coming now 😁

Coming now @Tsumia. Sorry for the delay

you did very well! the only mistake I can find is that you missed a go around when it was necessary on me (I know I’ve been bad with spacing but it was for your good 😂). Rest is pretty fine! good job 😁👍🏻

1 Like

Swinging by

Good Session @Tsumia I was N121WS in a C172 and my feedback is as follows.

FEEDBACK

• You did not notice @MetZone’s G/A when I purposefully stopped on the runway, you need to improve your spacial awareness I don’t know if you were doing something else at the time but this was a damn silly mistake.
  • When I purposefully made MetZone G/A I did a Stop & Go which means I stopped reconfigured and then went, because I stopped I should have got an exit runway command I did not once again showing a lack of spacial awareness, silly mistake.
  • No need to disregard my takeoff and then give me the exact same command that is absolutely pointless, maybe you did it because you were worried about separation with the Spitfire that had just taken off but there was no need, with time your spacial judgement will improve just practice makes perfect really. If it was another reason please do tell me…
  • Some of my cleared for options were given a bit late on late downwind, its not a major issue but the quicker you do it the less you have to worry later so perhaps do it on Crosswind or early downwind… Just so you don’t get confused.
  • You forgot the sequence command for @MJP_27 on his first inbound, should have been done with the pattern instruction otherwise you get confused and forget like you did.
  • On my last pattern an extend downwind Ill call your base should have been used, just to make sure we didn’t clash, not a major issue but good practice.
  • You also gave me a late exit command this is important and once again spacial awareness, do get this up and give me the command around 35kts not 5.

CONCLUSION

Great session bud just improve on the points above! Great work today!

Peace out ✌️

2 Likes

Hey there! You did good! Just a few mistakes to work on

• The transition altitude was good. Just a thing to work on. It should’ve been 3,500ft. The formula for the transition altitude is this, Airport’s Altitude + 1,500 feet + 1,000 feet = Your altitude for the transition . So in that case, KTLH’s airport altitude is about 60 ft so I’d add that and add 1,500 feet + 1,000 feet, I’d get 2,500 feet. But then, I’m not done. I have to round UP to the nearest 500. Then you get 3,000 feet. Which is your transition altitude.

• You forgot to sequence me and the other people in the pattern. So, at the time, I should’ve been following N121WS (which I was). So, you would give me number 2, and then traffic to follow is on base. Or whatever there position is in the pattern leg. See this photo here and the article I linked below!

pattern

https://infiniteflight.com/guide/atc-manual/3.-tower/3.3-inbounds

• You gave N121WS a late exit runway command. If it’s a general aviation aircraft (example TBM 930, C172’s) give them the exit runway command below 40 knots. If it’s a Commercial Aircraft. Exit runway commands should be given to them in between 70 knots and 40 knots. If your late with the exit runway command below that speed. Don’t worry. Your ok, still give them the command. But if there on the taxiway, plus crossed the hold short line. Just give them to contact ground or Unicom. See this article here for more details

https://infiniteflight.com/guide/atc-manual/3.-tower/3.5-exit-runway-go-around

Thanks,
Mason

Feedback N3PD:

I would have liked to seen the exit RWY command a lot sooner insetead of when i got it

Rule of thumb for the Exit Runway should be when the pilot reaches 70kts and no lower then 60kts

Overall pattern work you did great

1 Like

Hi @Tsumia,

You’re not going for the world record of controlling are you? It’s probably best to keep your tracking feed up to date and making sure you close your thread when closed.

Kindest regards,

GlidingC

P.s (Stop being the imposter 😉)

2 Likes

I forgot, whoops.

1 Like