Trying to understand Infinite Flight more

Hello everyone,
I have been on Infinite Flight for a year. I am a grade 2 pilot and I am trying to prepare myself for the formality and professionality of grade 3 (if I make it there). I was interested in understanding how to do a good takeoff and landing as I am not very confident in them and I often rely on A/P and APPR too often.

Also, A quick question, as someone who is starting to use Infinite flight as more than a hobby, what are flares in regards to landing and other terms?

Flaring is when you pitch your nose up to get that sweet, sweet butter…
Seriously it’s when you pitch your nose up do decrease your vertical speed like just before you touchdown.

In regards to actually flying, just practice practice practice. Go on TS, CS or even solo and practice. The key is smoothness, like I’m real life. I still haven’t gotten takeoffs it landings down yet.

Flaring is slightly pulling the yoke back at around 20 ft AGL (above ground level) so that you land on your main gear (ones at the middle of the plane). Slowly bring the throttle back and land, and then gently push your nose gear down.

As for your other questions, if you can be a bit more specific, I’d love to help!

That’s funny. For me I always accidentally slam my nose gear down one landed. I need to work on that…

thankyou for your help, I really appreciate it.

1 Like

Thank you so much, in terms of flying, I am currently flying to Singapore from Sydney at Fl38, what are some good tips for descending?

thankyou again

FL38 is 3800 ft, maybe a bit low? Unless you mean FL380, or 38000?

As for descent, I tend to use a formula that I’ve concocted myself, although it’s a bit complicated to explain here.

For now, check out real world pilot Wiggy’s thread about it: Standard Descent and Descent Planning

As for speed, I slow down slowly while using this chart:
At 28000 -> 275 kts or below
At 20000 -> 255 kts or below
At 15000 -> 240 kts or below
At 10000 -> 230 kts or below
Downwind -> 200 kts
Base -> 185 kts
Final -> 175-180 kts
Landing -> 135-145 kts, depending on aircraft

1 Like

thanks mate, Yes I did mean fl380 haha

On expert just follow ATC instructions…you’ll be fine…TS control does NOT have all tools along with communication on slack…I have NO GHOST. in my history ever…and I do fly expert

1 Like

Practice, practice, practice. Go in Solo and perfect approaches and landings. Don’t listen to anything @anon41771314 tries to tell you, that’s the opposite of a good landing ;)

Flare around 30 feet (10 feet for the 737). Cut the throttle right before you land. Landing speed is slower with smaller aircraft (think 110 kts for Dash 8) and faster for heavy aircraft (think 145-150 kts for 787). Enough practice and you’ll soon realize that all of the people who say “butter” had it all wrong, you’ve perfected greasing the landing!

This comment may have just started a war

3 Likes

Without a doute.

1 Like

Are you sure about that?

1 Like

Yep… the grease vs butter war has been raging since the dawn of aviation and has taken the lives of many many many IFC topics

2 Likes

Oh was it? I joined IFC community in 2015, but acting like I just joined 1 week ago, bc I only really frequently started being on the IFC 2 weeks ago

1 Like

Firstly, the flare is when yiu begin to pitch the aircraft up a few degrees to reduce the descent rate. As for being confident with takeoffs and landing, don’t stress about it. I’m grade 3 and my landings sre absolute ****. Just remember a few things

1. APPR is an amazing tool! Don’t be afraid to use it. I personally disconnect it at 200 ft AGL. That way, it guides you in to the runway on the correct vertical and horizontal profile.
  2. Do NOT raise the nose in the flare to much. Obviously because you don’t want a tailstrike, but also, hold the attitude. Don’t try and go for a smooth landing, or “butter” as a lot of people say. Go for the touch down zone. A good and safe landing isn’t defined by how smooth it os; it is if it is in the touchdwon zone. When you flare, just hold that and eventually, the airplane will come down; but don’t let it float too long or you might not have enough runway, especially on shorter fields.
  3. Remeber, “you can always go around”

As for takeoff, just set about 92% N1 (N1 is the little number above the throttle), know your rotation speed, make sure you have the correct flap setting, and rotate at a nice smooth rate. 2-2.5 degrees per second is a good place to start.
For both landing and takeoffs, just maintain centreline with the rudder, don’t over correct and like others have said, it is all about smoothness. Practice and you’ll be fine!

It has so badly

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.