Trying to Fill a Spotting Topic in COVID Times | Munich, November & December, 2020

Hey there,

another month, another topic. Due to obvious reasons I had to wait some time until enough pics finally piled up to create a new topic.
With movements being down as far as 130 a day in Munich, seeing (special) planes becomes harder and harder. As a consequence the number of my visits and pics went down and I actually caught the arrival of Emirates’ Expo 777 while I was on a longer drive that coincidentally had the airport on its route.

Along with the special Emirates plane, I also got the arrival of Lufthansa’s “Hauptstadtflieger” right after the 777.

The friday before, I already stopped at the airport for the departure of Aeroflot’s 777 which performed a cargo flight from Moscow but unfortunately, the sun decided to take a break whenever a plane was approaching or departing that day.

Similar weather was present when I took some pictures during a stopover at Frankfurt airport. Due to the rarity of the movements I still want to include them. After being stuck in Storage at Enschede for a while, this Boeing 747-400 of Lufthansa performed it last landing at Frankfurt prior to being sent to Mohave via Boston a few days later. Farewell, old lady!

Another surprising movement that didn’t have its destination set to Frankfurt in Flightradar was TUI’s dreamliner inbound from Manchester.

Back in Munich on that day, I eventually caught my first plane in sun when this Gulfstream departed the airport.

But let’s get to the best pics of the topic. Back on Monday, Munich spotters once again gathered at the airport fence early in the morning. To get our settings right for the special, we used one of the first arrivals of the day which approached from Istanbul in nice morning light.

While the morning light was amzaing, we were sadly lacking arrivals to make use of it. It just wouldn’t get larger than A320s or even smaller like this Croatian Dash 8.

The highlight of the morning and the reason for my spotting trip was the arrival of a nicely painted HiFly Malta A340. While it was initally expected right at sunrise making spotting it really difficult, two hours delay offered a great setting for the buttered landing in Munich.

The departure was then planned for the next day but due to engine trouble upon startup it was cancelled and postponed until further notice. Weather wasn’t too great for spotting anyway since the first snow of the year was falling at the scheduled departure time. The new departure created a very stressful afternoon and evening one day later though: On Wednesday, we were informed, that the 340 would depart at 19:40. At that time, it would have been impossible to spot though, since wind wasn’t favoring runway 26, where we just got a new spot for deicing shots. For several hours, me and my friends kept checking the METARs to see if the forecasted change in wind direction would finally happen, but it never got better. After the flight was delayed to 21:00 and wind still hadn’t changed by 20:15, we were already calling it a day and decided not to try spotting it…until the first planes started being vectored towards runway 26L at 20:20. Living 40 minutes from the airport, I immediately jumped into my car and started the drive to the airport (thanks, German Autobahn lol) and I arrived right at 21:00, just before the Hifly 340 arrived for deicing on the pad. And we think that the drive was indeed worth it considering the following results:

With weather forecast not looking too good for december and the schedule looking even worse it will be interesting when I will go back to the airport, but let’s see what surprises will come up…:)

Thanks for visiting this topic! I hope you liked it! See you for the next topic ;)

My Equipment:

Canon EOS 80D
Canon EF 100-400mm f/4.5-5.6 L IS II USM (99% of pics)
Canon EF 24-105mm f/4.0 L IS II USM (for wide angle pics)

Backup / Old Lenses

Canon EF-S 18-135mm f/3.5-5.6 IS (for the 1% of the cases where I needed a wide angle lens, replaced by the 24-105 now)
Canon EF-S 55-250mm f/4.0-5.6 IS STM (for the majority of my very old pics, bascially completely replaced by the 100-400 now)

You can follow me on twitter and Instagram to get more shots on a daily basis. Also, keep your eyes open on Flightradar24 where you might see some of my recent shots.

Twitter

https://twitter.com/mba_muc

Instagram

Jetphotos

Recorded Flights on my YouTube channel

My spotting topics on the IFC (sorted by years since this is slowly getting endless)

Spring Spotting 1
Spring Spotting 2 with Lorenzo
Spring Spotting 3 (feat. Hekla Aurora)
August spotting with some sunrise shots
September 30 with quite some special liveries and bizjets
Spotting in Zurich on the way to Cosford
Spotting Laura and more in Birmingham
Spotting in fog with a sunny end

Special planes at Munich - Munich Security Conference feat. E-4B
Valentine’s Spotting 2019 - Civil Traffic around the Munich Security Conference
Retro Time - British Airways BEA A319
First weekend in Innsbruck - Charter Flights in the Alps
Second Innsbruck Spotting Weekend
Bringing Israeli soldiers to Munich - El Al 747
Another visit of ElAl’s queen - El Al 747
Spotting in the Morning Sun - South African Special Livery A340-300
A full day of Spotting
London Calling - Spotting at MUC and LCY on the way to London
London Heathrow Evening Spotting Before the Meetup
London Heathrow Meetup Spotting
Last Day at Heathrow: Landor, Negus and more
Government Jets and New Perspectives at Munich Airport
One Day Spotting Trip to Frankfurt Airport
Spotting Trip to Berlin
A lot of Specials at Munich
Quick after work spotting for a private A340
Another Sunny Spotting Day in Fall
Spotting with a Female closer than 5 miles, so definitely click even though she’s in none of the Pics!!!
Day and Night Shots at Munich
Deicing and more
Condor’s new colors and a big chopper
Stunning Condensations and a Royal 747
Azimuth Superjet and more for the last topic in a decade

Birthday Spotting
The Final EXPO A380
Special Cargos in the Evening
Zurich’s Airline Traffic during the WEF Week
Air Force One Ramp Tour
Air Force One Arriving in Zurich
Heavy Contrasts for Air Malta’s Retro Jet
First Two Days of SiKo - Kuwait A340, Russia Il96
Amazing Security Conference Perspectives feat. Kuwait’s A340 and more
Etihad’s Choose China Livery
Security Conference Final
Trying A New Position for Condor‘s and United‘s New Liveries
Last Specials Prior to the Corona Break
First Spotting Trip After the Corona Restrictions With Some Cargo Specials
50 Years Special Livery on a Rescue Helicopter
Spotting AN-22 in Leipzig
Spotting the Last Departing A340s of Lufthansa
First Visit of Qatar’s OneWorld A350-1000
AN124 and Other Specials in Munich
Spotting in Frankfurt With Several Specials
Early Morning Cargo Movements
Government Flights at Munich
Military & Special Spotting at Ingolstadt and Neuburg AFB
DC3, Hekla Aurora and an EXPO livery at Munich
The First Visit of an Airbus Beluga XL
Summer Spotting Ending with Engine Light
IL76 Spotting in the Summer Heat
Two Weeks of Specials Summarized
Two More Days of Specials in Munich
Special Movements in September
Covid-19 Fall Spotting
P3, F18, A400M and more

Honorable mentions, TLDRs and Reminders

TL;DR service for @dush19: Actually, I can’t be bothered to continue this any longer but: Planes, Planes, Planes.
@MrMrMan: Look, something new to quote again!
@Marc you’re welcome 😉
@Nathan time to visit this place again
@Balloonchaser since you will come here anyway…
@JulianB just want to be sure you don’t miss it
@CaptainHugh

57 Likes

Very nice photos, Moritz! The Gulfstream is so sleek and that blue livery on the A340 😍

1 Like

First! Once again claim my title!

Amazing pictures @Moritz! That A340 tho <3

1 Like

Lol, not quite haha

1 Like

Thank you :)

1 Like

Wow. Photos are spectacular! That A340 with the lighting is very nice!

1 Like

As soon as I saw this, I knew the night shots were coming. I was not disappointed.

Incredible shots as always man! Way to steal my thunder too…;)

1 Like

I should stop leaking pics before posting the topic I guess 😏

Thank you, Cam :)

2 Likes

Awesome pictures! I especially like the A340 deicing pictures!

1 Like

Bless you.

Very nice photos!

2 Likes

Hahaha, it translates to “Capital City Plane” since it was the one that made the first Lufthansa landing at Berlin’s new airport back in October

1 Like

Moritz and Cameron both…I guess I should post something but I got nothing ready.

1 Like

Just go spotting in Roche…oh wait

2 Likes

I have the photos they’re just not edited yet 😂

I guess I could post the DC10s but I’m lazy

1 Like

Moritz and @Cameron_Stone both making a topic in the same day??

Its a good day!

@AndrewWu you should do one too to make it the ultimate spotting day 👀

2 Likes

I see a gulfstream, I like.

Nice pictures, I love them all!

2 Likes

Thanks!

I like how the Gulfstream is the most convincing shot in this topic for you haha

That A340 is definitely quite the sight, but I love gulfstreams a ton since there is a facility at a local airport about 20 miles away from me. 😍

2 Likes

Oh… Moritz you never disappoint!

1 Like

niceeeee

1 Like