Trump may cancel 747 order

Trump may cancel 747 order.

22 Likes

That why he is the man with the plan ;) !

11 Likes

since Trump is a business man he has a good eye on whats a reasonable deal and whats not. However try to leave politics aside.

13 Likes

He better not cancel that order. The current 747 is old and a new one is in order. And trump doesn’t decide which plane he can choose, the 89th Presidential Airlift wing decides which aircraft they want.

24 Likes

I swear he better not!

4 Likes

It is going to cost 4 billion , that is a ridiculous cost for any aircraft … 4 billion from tax payers money !

6 Likes

I’m sorry, but so much for “bringing jobs back to the US” and one of his first actions is cancelling a massive national investment. Long term maintenance costs of a 29 year old aircraft > long term cost of newer, efficient aircraft.

Anyway, I know I may seem a tad guilty too but let’s avoid turning this thread political :)

35 Likes

They should do the newer 747-8 or something like that. The engines are a lot better than the current 747s and the wings on the new one will look better and be more fuel efficient.

2 Likes

Who knows, maybe they’ll fit the 757 up to presidential standards and technology :)

5 Likes

Yes it supports jobs but I’m pretty sure no new jobs were created as the B747 is still in production, surely they could use a cheaper aircraft like the B787 or B777. The U.K. Has a converted A330 Military Aircraft. There are other ways of supporting and creating jobs just not by spending 4 billion

3 Likes

No reason to get new aircraft.

Current one is great.

4 Likes

And to think Mexico has a new B787 as their presidential aircraft, I wonder how they got that.

1 Like

Okay it’s weird

But we all know he wants The 757 as Air Force One

6 Likes

He can’t. It’s not equipped for use as the presidential aircraft

8 Likes

He could do what our lot have done and convert an old RAF Voyager A330 into the new Presidential bus… that would certainly set the cat among the pigeons :-)

2 Likes

Yeah I know Trump wants it

1 Like

The US has like more than 10 trillion owned in debt, amirite? The why waste 4 billion if he doesn’t feel it is necessary? Either continue with the current one, maybe buy something smaller and cheaper? Trump could even repainted one of his own jets.

Or is the plane even necessary? Most presidents/PMs travel using military transport or with their flag carrier. I don’t hear them complaining.

4 Likes

The current Air Force One aircraft are Boeing VC-25 models, which is a highly modified 747-200B.
The two aircraft are 26 years old and every part that is needed has to be custom made because the 200B isn’t in production anymore. It hasn’t been for a long time. That’s part of why these aircraft are so expensive to maintain.

Since it’s a flying command center, and the home away from home for ‘the leader of the free world’ not any aircraft will do.
It can’t be compared to any other government aircraft.

Since it’s highly specific and classified, building replacements creates many jobs. It’s not just another aircraft built on the standard assembly line.

17 Likes

I don’t think he can do that, Congress and probably the Air Force would have to agree.

2 Likes

Okay but costs have doubled from the original amount set aside and for a country with so much debt maybe they should consider other options

4 Likes