Trip Report Longest US Domestic Flight from KBOS-HNL

Flew Hawaiian Airlines’ “newest” A330-243 in First Class from KBOS-PHNL recently, took a lot of notes, had a visit to the flight deck and when the runway swapped before takeoff the Captain even came out to tell me so I could setup ForeFlight properly.

I’ll put in the technical details first and then some pics.

Hawaiian 89

KBOS-PHNL

HAL89/HA89

24 January 2020

N361HA/MSN # 1823 “Hoku Mau”

Routing: HYLND5 HYLND HANAA Q816 HOCKE BAE MCW ONL LAR TCH BVL SAC FARRA BEBOP R464 BAART R464 BILLO R464 BOARD R464 BITTA MAGGI3

466KTS 36000FT

Actual Routing

HYLND5->NHANT->Vectors 42.583/-70.75 DIR HYLND HANAA Q816 HOCKE DIR ONL LAR TCH DIR BAART R464 BILLO R464 BOARD R464 DIR->BAMBO->Vectors Visual 8L PHNL

Flight Times

Out: 1407Z Terminal E, Gate E5

Off: 1424Z

On: 0114Z

In: 0117Z Terminal 1, Gate C2 Block: 10:50

Weights

Cost Index/Cruise Mach: CI20/.795M

ZFW: 310800

Block Fuel: 145700

TOW: 455700

PLBRN: 128700

ACTBRN 125600

Takeoff/Climbout Data

RWY: 04R04R

SID: HYLND5 to vectors

Flex Temp: 52C

T/O Config: Flap 1+F

V1:148 VR:148 V2:153

Thr Red Alt: 1030 Accel Alt: 1030

Cruise Info

Filed Altitude: FL380

Initial Cruise Altitude: FL360

Stepped FL380 @ ONL, FL400 @ N/A

Final Cruise Altitude:

Shortcuts-Dir>ONL, Dir>SAC/FARRA prior to TCH @FL380

Descent, Approach & Landing Data

STAR: MAGGI3 via DIR>BAMBO @ 10K/Vectors

Approach: Vectors to Visual 8L

Runway: 8L

TOD @ Waypoint: ~ 15nm prior to BITTA

LDW: 331100lbs

Config: Full

Vapp: 135 low additive due to T/W

Vls/Vref: 132

Now for the good stuff! My friend got some pics of the A/C from the ramp and was able to get a shot of me waving as we departed. 🤙

24 Likes

Nice report! Interesting to see all the technicalities of the flight. How was the service and aircraft overall? Did you enjoy the seat?

1 Like

Great seat-I’m a side sleeper-I don’t sleep well on planes in general but I was able to get a couple 45-90 minute catnaps on my back and side due to the comfort of the seat. Good storage for my phone/glasses and odds and ends. Plenty of chargers-two USB and one empower plug to keep my iPad and iPhone running strong for the long (albeit short for the particular day we flew) flight. I’ll have a video with avgeek annotations and ATC merged in up on YouTube shortly. IDK if I’all gonna append the link to this topic or start a new one 🤷‍♂️

The service on all 4 legs we took was AMAZING. Better even than jetBlue. Hawaiian is probably one of the last US based airlines where you’re treated like a human being by attentive, friendly and caring flight attendants.

1 Like

Interesting. How did you know all the little details about the flight?

I visited the flight deck before and after and printed out a sheet so I could take notes. Walked over to baggage claim with the captain who told me how they’ll usually disconnect the A330 autothrust because of the setup with having to cross over from water, to land, to water at the Pearl Harbor channel-the temperature loss over the water affects the speed/lift and the autothrust will bump in extra power. He also told me some stories about the PW1133G’s needing to be swapped out on the Neo’s-those issues are well documented-Hawaiian had some of the first A321neo’s with ETOPS/PW engines so they’re sending them updated engine models

3 Likes

Ah I see. Learn something new everyday. That’s cool the captain gave you that

1 Like

The food looks superb!

Looks like a great flight @FBWFTW! I’d love to travel with HA one day, they seem like a great airline. I think it’s super cool that the pilot was so open, even updating you with the runway change - that’s super neat.

Looking forward to the return flight 😉

2 Likes

It was indeed Ollie. First service was macadamia nuts and a POG Mai tai for me-then lunch was a salmon terrine/potato salad with lomi lomi tomatoes, a pumpkin and chicken lasagna that was amazing for dessert a pineapple vanilla shortcake (glad my wife didn’t eat hers! It was AMAZING!) Snacks along the way we’re chocolate Mac nuts, Maui onion chips, Hawaiian cookies, all the drinks you could want. Second service was Maui onion bisque with kalbi beef bao buns with sriracha dipping sauce and Kim Chee veggies along with Kona coffee and chocolate mac nuts. The flight attendants were absolutely amazing.

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.