Trip report: Flying on American's new Airbus A321N

Yesterday. December 11, 2019. I had the to fly on American’s new Airbus A321 NEO. The route was Dallas (KDFW) to Phoenix (KPHX). This flight was operated by N401AN. Upon getting to my gate, I realized that boarding was almost finished. With that being said, lets get into how this came about. I had gotten in late from my first flight due to an air traffic control flow into DFW. Once I got into DFW, I had to hustle from the B terminal where most of the regional flight arrive and depart from to the C terminal. I arrived with twenty (20) minutes to spear and I got my baording pass. My seat was 9D, an aisle seat that has extra legroom. Upon walking down the jet bridge and entering the aircraft, I noticed that it was modern and clean. The first class galley was big (to me) and the aisles were bigger than most jets which was nice. I found my seat and sat down. Upon sitting down, I saw that there was no IFE which was a huge disappointment. You would think that on a new airplane that it would have IFE right? Nope. (Side note: I read the article about how AA is changing there cabins to Oasis class.) I also noticed how slim the seats were. To me, this did not really bother me as I am more of that traveller that just wants to get from point A to point B, but I can see how this could be a problem if you like to ride in comfort or a bigger person. The last think I thing that could of been done better are the tray tables. They seemed like they were half the size and hlaf the width of what tray tables are normally. (It might of been me). although there are things I think AA could of done better, there are some good things about the new Airbus A321N that American has. The first positive is that it is much more quiter than a normal Airbus or Boeing 737. It also has cool mood lightning which helps me settle down to that calm state since I have get-there-itis. Another plus to this aircraft was that it had electircal ports and outlets at every seat. That means I could charge my phone and my laptop while I work on this review. As always, the crew was amazing. They were out going and really tried to make everyone feel at home and have a safe and smooth flight. Overall though, I was not really impressed with it. It does have it’s good and bads like everything, but to me, it would of been better with IFE and bigger seats. To me, it is just a regualr airliner and I would rather perfer a Boeing 737 with IFE (old or new) or the Airbus A321 with IFE. In my opinion, I think more peopel care about IFE then not. I cannot count on two hands on many people I see using it. I think it helps airlines make money instead of just having magiznines in the seat back pocket. Thanks for reading about my first trip expierence on the American Airbus A321N.

Rating out of 10:

Aircraft:8/10

Crew:8/10

IFE:3/10

Seats: 4/10

Overall:6/10

8 Likes

Its never that great on American.

Well you know what they say, American more like Amerisqueeze.

1 Like

Yeah. I might of mentioned it in the post but I’ve had better seats on a Maddog then this plane lol

The IFE is actually apart of a new project American is undergoing nicknamed Project Horizon which is aiming to remove IFE and condense the seats to fit more passengers and save the airline money. They are also considering removing WiFi from their aircraft as part of the project. Saves money more than it makes money I guess.

When I flew econ on the A320 to DFW, it was tight. There was also no IFE nor WiFi.

1 Like

Read the article as well. I think it’s a dumb move but whatever. New planes should have new and greater stuff

As a German (European) I haven’t seen IFE (or even screens) on nearly all my short-to medium haul flights in the past years and I must say that it doesn’t bother me the slightest. Bringing my iPad with a few movies downloaded and I am good!

Thanks for sharing your impressions though!

2 Likes

That’s interesting. I know these planes routinely going on 4-5 hour flights so even if someone brings an iPad etc, it is also good to have a change of pace or to know where you are

That’s what I miss most, but there are solutions via the WiFi on board available (if the aircraft is equipped, with WiFi or similar technologies, which is pretty rarely the case).

Otherwise the short-/medium haul aircrafts in Europe mostly have no power plugs, no IFE or anything similar and that’s the same for your 50 minutes hop as it is for your 4:30minutes or more trip places like the Canary Islands or Egypt.

I haven’t heard anything on that and I’m 99% certain it won’t happen considering they recently finished installing Wi-Fi on their entire(?) mainline fleet.

2 Likes

As stated, considering due to money. Money can do powerful things…

1 Like

Not sure where you heard this, but it’s definitely not happening… just last year, they stated they’re committed to adding WiFi to all their new aircraft, and “upgrade” the WiFi on their old aircraft… if they don’t have in-flight entertainment, there’s a higher chance they’ll have WiFi (United is an example, as they don’t have T.V. screens on aircraft like the A320, but they’re equipped with United’s WiFi.

Anyways, looks like a nice trip report! I have only flown American a couple times before, but I didn’t like them and it seems like you didn’t too much either, but my flight had IFE screens so I guess that’s a downside of their fleet retrofits.

1 Like

It’s actually called project oasis :)

Awesome! Would love to see pictures if you have any! :)

1 Like

Unfortunately I don’t. I was running behind the whole time thanks to my first flight being delayed.

1 Like

I saw this guy come in from Hamburg on its delivery flight. Definitely the coolest A321 I’ve seen at PIT…

1 Like

That is cool that you saw the NEO I flew on on it’s delivery flight

1 Like

I mean it was at a few thousand feet between the clouds, and there was snow. So I mostly heard it, caught a few glimpses, but not a fantastic view…

1 Like

Suffices to say it is awesome they are being delivered here though, definitely the coolest A321s I see here, would be cool if they regularly flew them here, but I’ll take what I can get. I mean I never thought about it, but it is interesting they are delivered to a city they don’t even fly to… 😂

1 Like

I mean Project Oasis, not Horizon.

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.