Trip Report: Aegean Airlines A320NEO MAN - ATH

Today I’ll be giving you my opinion and review on my flight with Aegean from Manchester - Athens.

This was my first time flying with Aegean so I didn’t expect much since I am flying within Europe. Check in was nice and easy. We only had one bag to check in. Nothing to complain there. I got a BLT sandwich from duty free as we were told that we may or may not get a snack service onboard. In my opinion they should be certain with it but since I already bought a sandwich I was fine. I have a peanut and tree nut allergy as well so it didn’t really bother me if they came out with food.

Our plane today was SX-NEJ. An A320-271NEO operated by Aegean.

My seat was 23A with a nice view of the wing but the window alignment could’ve been better. The overall seat comfort was standard for a European airline. It wasn’t too hard but European airlines like to cram as many seats onboard a plane as possible and that was the case here. The legroom wasn’t good at all and even for a person like me whose average height I could only fit 2 fingers close together between my knee and the seat in front of me.

What was a pro though is the fact that Aegean fitted their seats with phone holders so people can watch movies that passengers have downloaded. This was a useful feature for me as the flight was near 4 hours and sleep wasn’t an option for me during this flight.

Soon we had taken off. Simon Lowe Aviation is a YouTube live streamer that is based in Manchester and happened to catch my flight taking off. It was cool to see another bit of my plane taking off from a different aspect. The airport wasn’t that busy at this time of day (12:10 GMT) and most of the Middle Eastern carriers had arrived from their early morning departures out of their hub airports. Halfway through we were given a snack. As I said before it would’ve been better if they told us with a clear and certain answer if we were going to get a snack on board. I had already finished my BLT sandwich so I wasn’t hungry at all. The snack consisted of chicken in a tomato sauce with rice. It was basic but smelt nice. It was also served with a salad and a drink of your choice. So far so good knowing that most European carriers don’t give much when flying within Europe. I was surprised Aegean did this since the Greek economy isn’t great but that wasn’t reflected on the airline. Aegean also had free WiFi in which you can check your flight status and other things like the history of the airline and their plan for the future. But in order to get WIFI to stream movies you had to pay €6.

My seat offered great views over mainland Europe and the start of the Alps. Before descent I even managed to take a picture of a Eurowings A320 (I’m presuming) flying back to Germany.

The arrival into Athens gave some nice views of the Greek islands. It was nearing sunset so it looked very pretty.

The Landing
Whoever did the landing (probably the FO) was very experienced with the plane. It seemed a bit windy because the wing kept dipping on finals but I didn’t even feel the touchdown it was that smooth. A 10/10 landing. A common A320 landing but a very nice one.

Pros
Easy check in
Gave free WiFi for flight tracking
Gave seat back phone holders so you can watch films

Cons
Could give more legroom with seats even if it means sacrificing a few seats to accommodate that
Could make the seat more comfortable because most of their flights last more than 2 hours and I’m sure many passengers wouldn’t want a piece of plastic with some padding on but it isn’t as bad as many other airlines I’ve flown on.

Conclusion
Overall I think Aegean is a good airline to fly with. It’s not budget but offers flights to holiday destinations in Greece. The service wasn’t bad but could upgrade seat comfort to attract customers. Just because the airline isn’t a budget airline doesn’t mean everything is good. I’ve had better legroom flying with Indigo and Ryanair (with school). But I do like that they have considered the fact that we like to watch movies on flights and although they don’t have IFE’s (which I really want European airlines to have with flights within Europe like Delta does with their A320’s and B737’s) they have added the phone holder. I think Aegean is your average European airline nothing special but not bad. What surprised me is that many people chose Aegean to connect on to other destinations so the airline does have a place in the connection sector. If you haven’t tried Aegean already next time if you have a change book it. It’s not a game changer but it isn’t bad at all. Also Aegean is a Star Alliance member so that means you may be booked onto this airline if you’re flying within Greece. Expect a Jet2 trip report coming soon 👀.

This is my first time making a trip report so if you have any comments or corrections to make don’t hesitate to tell me

25 Likes

Did anyone read this? If so what did you think? I’ll be uploading a Jet2 one soon

1 Like

Clearly, you’ve never been on Spirit/Frontier/Allegiant/ any US airline.

3 Likes

Honestly a lot of Euro short haulers have pretty similar cabin setups to those, normally 1 less row though.

2 Likes

That’s kinda true but my experience on Aer lingus A320, I was actually comfortable it had decent legroom.

1 Like

First time seeing black contrail!!

1 Like

I’ve been on Delta and United and they were spacious compared to this. United was a long time back though but I understand Delta is a very good airline compared to the others. The airline you said were US budget airlines and that’s common but Aegean and most national European airline do this. Thanks for the feedback

1 Like

This is a nice trip report, very detailed and it’s was a charm to read!

1 Like

Thank you. Would you fly Aegean if you had the chance?

1 Like

I’m not a master in this but I think it depends on where the sun is at this time of day. I’ve seen black contrails when planes fly in the evening. At around that time in the picture it was nearing evening so maybe that’s why

2 Likes

I swear that eurowings is running on diesel

3 Likes

It looks like an old diesel train in the air. It’s cos of the sunlight at that time of day

1 Like

Yeah but they are a bit too far of me, i’m in California lol

1 Like

Well you never know, maybe if you want to go to Greece one day you might. I really want to visit California one day. Hopefully in the future I can do a trip report soon on that

2 Likes