trim setting

Hi all

How is trim used in real life for takeoffs, and more so for landings? Never know what the right setting should be. And I assume it varies based on the airplane, but is there a general rule of thumb?

Thanks

1 Like

Not sure about real life. But in IF I generally use between +30%-+40% trim on larger aircraft during takeoff(with a 5% or so difference nose up or down during landing.) On smaller aircraft like the 172(however, in real life, you’d just use a few swipes of trim nose up or down until it’s comfortable) or the TBM, I use no more than +10% on takeoff and +20% on landings.

3 Likes

The professionals have all of the answers… Check these out:

1 Like

Thanks very much. @balloonchaser however this doesn’t tell me how much to trim it, just how it generally works.

Any further thoughts?

Thanks

In the real world, we use checklists or POH’s that tell us how much to use.

In IF, it’s trial and error. Use a setting, see what happens, and adjust until you get your desired result

This will help

In a 172, default trim is takeoff trim which sets it up to fly at 80kts, the climbout speed. Trim is actually a form of autothrottle, it flies the plane at one speed. If the engine power is lowered, it makes up for that by making the nose go down. It’s an interesting aerodynamic phenomenon which is probably explained in the thread that bchaser linked.

1 Like

Thanks, all. Appears from what I gather trim up for landing and take off is quite common, so I’ll try that. Have to admit, haven’t been using trim much.

Best way to learn is take off several times on offline If, same plane, weight, runway, wind, throttle, and change only the trim. You should be able to get a rule of thumb this way for each plane. You can do the same for landing with the short final option.
For the TBM, I agree that +10 for takeoff and about +20 for landing is right.
The weight makes this vary a lot as well…

1 Like

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.