Trim during cruise

I have a basic idea of how trim works and I have looked through tutorials. However, if positive trim is used to reduce back pressure on the yoke and keep the aircraft nose up, why is positive trim used during cruise instead of negative trim? I often find myself cruising at an upwards angle (nothing to do with weight or climb).

2 Likes

You don’t really trim to “keep the nose up” you trim for a specific IAS. Trim requirements will change with variations in speed and centre of gravity. So, assuming the same CofG and fuel load, your trim setting will be the same for the same indicated airspeed regardless of altitude.

Most aircraft will cruise at an attitude of about 3-5 degrees nose up.

Edit to add that thrust, particularly with underslung engines, will affect your trim. So something like the 737 will require more nose up trim with less thrust (dunno if this is modelled on Infinite Flight).

So why is positive trim needed during cruise?

1 Like

Positive trim is used in real life to reduce the applied elevator deflection (and therefore fuel burn) needed to hold the nose up in the required position to maintain altitude at cruise. However, in Infinite Flight, trim simply moves the elevators to higher or lower deflection just as manually pulling the controls would, so it has no effect on your flying or fuel burn

2 Likes

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.