Tried APPR for the first time today...

and did you have the spoilers on

no, was I supposed to turn it off? yes spoilers were on

Yes it tends to misbehave if you turn it off before your on the runway

Hmm, that sounds odd since you said you had a good 140kt. speed… should’ve landed fine since it doesn’t sound like there were any out of the ordinary flight conditions.

1 Like

It’s supposed to be on till you get on the runway

1 Like

the touchdown looked perfect until for about 2 seconds then the tires went through the map and the plane bounced 3x

I didnt turn it off

Then it must have been a one off glitch if the wheels went into the ground. I would do another autoland approach and see if the same thing happens again.

2 Likes

Most of the time I use APPR until I’m about 2 feet off the ground, then I just hold the controls manually. However, if I do use APPR for a full auto-land experience, I disengage it once it applies the brakes. I recommend that you try what I explained.

I might be wrong, but if I remember correctly the APPR works at best with a speed which keeps your pitch at approximately 2.5° (on the A320 family).

I’ve seen you landing once, and man… you really need that Autoland :P

2 Likes

@Alan_Perez. Landing Speed is the key. You control it. To hot you’ll ride a bucking horse, to slow you’ll dump it. Vref and chop the throttle over the keys ride it down, let ground effect settle you down on the mains first. (Insure your spoilers are set for landing. APPR is a gem in the rough. Practice with it at a remote field till you get it right then and only then fly a “B”.)

3 Likes

but he said he was at 140 knots :/

1 Like

MaxSez: 140Kt where? Was the control column forward to bring the nose wheel in contact after the flare. Where the spoilers set. What as the throttle position when the mains where down. When where the reversers applied.
When where the brakes applied. Lot of factor here. Sound like he’s lofting caused by to much forward energy.

on the approach lets assume final too.

I think 125-135 knots will be better…

According to Kilt McHaggis´s Infinite Flight Aircraft: Lookup Table, the A321 lands between 141kts and 165kts, depending on weight.

What was your weight?

Did you have the runway selected

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.