Tricky Airports

Can anyone recommend some nice tricky approach airports with some awesome scenery? Snow would be an advantage 😂✈️

LOWI is my go to favorite. And you’ll get snow

A few real world options are from EHAM give you the E190 KL or the B737 Transavia… or from LFPO the B738 Transavia

3 Likes

VNLK and VQPR are incredibly difficult. You should try them. VQBR requires you to weave in between mountains for RWY33 with a tight final bank. RWY15 includes flying closely over a mountain and turning between 2 mountains in a valley after overlying the airport including another tight final bank around a hill.

3 Likes

Madeira is a good one with crosswinds

2 Likes

Kathmandu, Paro, Lukla, Kalispell

1 Like

I’ll give them a try later, just looking to build up my landings so looking to take off go around a few times then land, quite short for my grade 4 😬😬

VQPR (Paro) Great Himalayan mountains and the hardest approach on earth
TFFJ (St Barts) Great waters, and a small runway where you go over a hill
LDDU (Dubrovnik) Great hills and cliffs but has an interesting final turn
LQSA (Sarajevo) Great hills and a tricky approach due to mixed winds and gusts
KASE (Aspen) Great mountains and a challenging approach due to steep final.

4 Likes

Dutch Harbor is pretty trick, same as Kodiak.

The approach is not that tricky, but an airport I suggest checking out is Juneau(PAJN). The approach to runway 8 has a hill when you are close to the ground when landing. Not to mention the beautiful scenery Alaska has to offer in this region.

1 Like

If you’re wanting something different, go for Toncontin (MHTG) where pilots are required to do an incredibly tight bank right before the runway in aircraft ad large as the 757. Crashed in my first attempt.

1 Like

Try Innsbruck

1 Like

TNCS is a tricky airport because the runway is super short.

1 Like

I tried landing an A380 there once and may or may not have overshot the landing by 5,000 feet

1 Like

Haha nice job.

I know VNPK, LFNB and LESU, but TBM would be the biggest aircraft you could use for these three places!

A near nosedive to get down to the runway, too

2 Likes

Florence (LIRQ) would fit perfect for todays ATC schedule. There are numerous flights from hubs all over Europe into this small airport, only operated by A319’s or ERJ’s. You can’t fit planes any larger than this in there anyways.
Not suited for touch and goes tho, only way to get in and out of there is from the South, as there are mountains in the north. Also pretty interesting take-off procedures due to noise abatement procedures. ^^

1 Like

Juneau (PAJN) runway 26 requires you to fly into a valley with the river, then turn at the last minute at a low altitude. It’s a really fun approach.

Also UGMS is and VQPR are fun, and incredibly difficult.

2 Likes

I tried a departure once and crashed into a mountain. Was big oof

2 Likes

Are you sure?

1 Like