TRIAVGeekMandy ‘s ATC tracking thread [CLOSED for tonight]

Hello guys :) ,
I am learning the ropes with ATC on the training server and so far I am getting it. Tried my skills at KLAX, EGLL, and just finished controlling KCLT for three hours :) . I’m low on charge tonight but starting tomorrow, I welcome you guys to stop on by and give me some feedback when you can :)

Server: Training
Airport: KCLT
Date and time : January 18 4:30pm-5:30pm EST

Thank you guys so much :) and I look forward to learning from you :)

1 Like

Thank you :) but I am on 10% battery right now. I’ll run the first ATC at 4:30pm EST :)

1 Like

Now open ground and tower at CYYZ for the next 30 minutes. Come on down 😃

Now open ground and tower at KCLT training server :) CYYZ is now closed but I thank the pilots who stopped by :)

👋🏼 N104MC coming for some patterns

1 Like

You need to clear me for the option each time

1 Like

Also need a sequence with DR

2 Likes

A few tips:
-When an aircraft calls for taxi, make sure to give them specific taxi instructions (“taxi to RWY 18L, contact tower when ready”) rather than just saying “continue taxi”
-Unnecessary use of “cleared for immediate takeoff” is considered bad practice
-N104MC was on left traffic for the same runway as me, and putting me on right traffic created a conflict with departing traffic on 23
-I called inbound for a touch and go but I was given clearance for landing, next time clear aircraft for the option (I had to stop, taxi back, and request takeoff again)
-I usually clear aircraft for landing/ touch and go when they’re midfield downwind
-Use the sequencing feature!

Overall, good job

3 Likes

Hi Mandy,

Well done on your tracking thread! You’ve received some good feedback already, which triggers me to send you these golden rules for controlling I prepared for people who were starting as a Trainee ATC. Learn them until you can dream them backwards, and you’ll be well on your way:

You will see ‘golden rules’ applied in the IFATC tutorial videos on YouTube. Check out these video’s. You’ll learn a lot!

1. Watch aircrafts on your platform. Good Ground control is important. Use hold position and give way instructions. Give way instructions are sometimes given before a taxi instruction.
  2. Understand the concept of the Pattern. Know your departure, crosswind, downwind, base and final legs.
  3. every new inbound always first gets a pattern entry instruction, to inform the pilot how he should approach
  4. Every runway change always first gets a pattern entry instruction
  5. sequencing is your friend”. Very important. It is used to tell pilots who to follow.Re-sequence if this helps to provide clarity. Extend downwind, I’ll call your base, and speed instructions are not meant for sequencing. Use sequence instructions, as many and as often as is needed.
  6. Use I’ll call your base, to delay the base turn of an inbound aircraft. Apply this to create space to allow outbound aircrafts to depart, or to avoid clashes with other aircrafts.
  7. aircrafts remaining in the pattern get a touch and go with an exit turn direction. This is needed only once. After this, the pilot will assume the same exit direction (number 1, cleared for the option, after the option make left traffic).
  8. Timely clearance for landing or for the option
  9. landed aircrafts all get a runway exit instruction. Know your exit procedures
  10. an inbound aircraft only gets one (1) landing/option clearance.

Send me a direct message if you have questions.

6 Likes

Hi guys :) just wanted to say KCLT is now closed. I will be reading everyone’s notes, both on here and in DMs. I would like to thank all the pilots who came to visit and help me out at CYYZ and KCLT. I definitely appreciate it and I am definitely open to the feedback I received so far. My biggest wish is hopefully I will be able to ATC in expert so I can help relieve one of my friends out in the future :) .

Anyway, for tomorrow, I will of course do KCLT again :) . Same time, same server :) . I’ll read through everything and announce it here tomorrow :) .

2 Likes

Hi. Some things to mention.
Using “continue taxi” isn’t the best, you should use “taxi to RWY 00 contact tower when ready instead of having to say “continue taxi and contact tower separately.
Second, don’t use hold short of RWY 00 before they get to the runway or they haven’t requested takeoff.
Third, when landing just tell the aircraft to contact ground. Thanks
You did well though!

1 Like

Hi guys :) long time no post here :) . Things had been busy at school lately and although I’ve been flying, I forgot the ATC part. I’m restarting fhat again with a ground only session at EGLL for 30 minutes so stop by :) thank you :)

1 Like

Thats been extended until 12:30am EST. Stop on by and all feedback is welcome :) . Doing my best after not doing this for two months :)

I’ll stop by
Corporate 187

1 Like

Thanks everyone for coming :) closed for the night but I’ll be back tomorrow :)

Open at ground at EGLL for at least an hour :) help me celebrate an important ATC milestone: this session will get me 500 operations as I had 475 to start with today. I know I’ll need to practice other areas too but any practice is good practice :)

Just now left EGLL ground :) . Thank you all for coming :). I suspect I’ll see my operations refresh tomorrow. I was controlling from my phone. I’ll be back Wednesday :) and any feedback is definitely appreciated :)

It won’t let me edit my title for some reason but I’m open for at least 45 minutes in KLAX ground frequency right now :) I’m typing this from my phone while I’m ATCing on my tablet :)

Thank you all so much for coming :) . I just now finished ATCing in KLAX ground for an hour. My operations refreshed to 581 :) . I used my iPad this time to control instead of my phone due to technical trouble. I am wondering if I should make a brand new thread or not since it will not let me edit the title anymore (I think because it’s 3 months old?). Any feedback is appreciated, and I will continue to practice. I’d like to at least practice for a couple months when I can before I apply for IFATC. This timeframe might change :). Whether I keep using this thread, or I am on the new thread, I will always welcome all feedback :). Good night :)

This topic was automatically closed 90 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.