Traveling the World in the Dash-8

Hey IFC! So I’ve been seeing everyone’s topics, crossing the pond/the world in small prop aircraft, so I decided to do my own take on the challenge. I will be attempting to circumnavigate the world in the Bombardier Dash-8 Q400! To make things slightly more challenging, I will be beginning and ending my journey in Hawaii. The voyage will take over 60 hours of flight time, traveling over 20000nm! I’ll keep you guys updated on when I finish each leg, along with details such as flight time, fuel remaining, etc.

The Legs:

PHKO-KLAX(2235nm) Completed in 6:49
KLAX-KMDY(1536nm) Completed in 4:15
KMDW-CYTZ(436nm) Completed in 1:21
CYTZ-CYHZ(707nm) Completed in 2:13
CYHZ-CYYT(487nm) Completed in 1:39
CYYT-EINN(1702nm) Completed in 4:42
EINN-LGAV(1745nm)
LGAV-LLBG(698nm)
LLBG-OMDB(1231nm)
OMDB-VABB(1163nm)
VABB-VGHS(1130nm)
VGHS-VHHH(1479nm)
VHHH-PGUM(1892nm)
PGUM-PWAK(1313nm)
PWAK-PMDY(1031nm)
PMDY-PHNL(1144nm)
PHNL-PHKO(160nm)

~20090nm total

Progress

Completed Legs: 6
Total Flight Time: 20:59

13 Likes

LEG 1 IS DONE

PHKO-KLAX - 6:49

This one was by far the longest flght on the list, but we made it with 10% fuel to spare!

5 Likes

reallly crazy trip,but its actually worth it , lots of xp and flight logging as reward.

1 Like

I wish you good luck and bid you farewell. :) This looks tough. Have fun!

1 Like

Nice challenge! Enjoy!

Imagine you would do this, without closing the IF app after each leg. The log, in the end, would show a TNCM - TNCM flight of…how many NM would it say? The effective distance would be 0 NM. But you would have a huge XP…

Food for thought?

How often are you planning to close the IF app?
In case you are planning from keep IF open for the entire trip, note that IF may become laggy. I’ve see this with long multi-hop flights. I’ve been told that IF expects us to close after each one or two flights. If we don’t there is a risk of some sort of internal issues, resulted in laggy behaviour.

Looking forward to the updates.

1 Like

Yes you need to end the flight after some point. Currently after around 50 hours the app will limit you and cut your throttle.

1 Like

In the case you may have to replace the Q400 with a fighter jet and aim to get around the world in 50 hours 😅

2 Likes

You can get from Sydney to Turkey in a little under 5, so I assume the F-22 could do the trip in a little under 15 hours. 777 can do it in around 42-44 hours with one stop

1 Like

Good luck! Glad to see others going around the world.

1 Like

I was planning on doing it slowly over the rest of the summer, so I would be closing it after each flight. It would be interesting to try it without ending the flight though…

YYYEA. THATS RIGHT.

Good luck @turtlebiscut, make us Dash lovers proud!

3 Likes

LEG 2 IS CURRENTLY IN THE AIR!

You can track me as I fly from KLAX-KMDW on liveflight here!

LEG 2 FINISHED!

KLAX-KMDW - 4:14

Took off with about 80% fuel, landing with plenty to spare. Nothing too eventful other than some crazy winds over Kansas! Next 3 flights (the Porter leg!) will probably be coming tomorrow.

Leg 3 HAS ARRIVED!

KMDW-CYTZ - 1:21

The Porter section of the journey has begun! We had a successful flight into Porter’s main hub, CYTZ, arriving just before dusk. I’ll use this post for legs 4 and 5 as well when they are completed either later today or early tomorrow.

Edit: LEG 4 HAS LANDED, 2340Z 22JUL

1 Like

I am officially starting this with you!! This is awesome. Starting the first leg tonight

Nice to have you along for the ride! At the rate I’ve been going, you might actually catch up to me and we might be able to do it together…

Haha well I’ll jeep you posted as to where I am but that would be sweet!!

Just began Leg 3!! I landed in LA on Leg 1 with 4% fuel so that was scary but hey I made it haha

I did not think that the Q400 could go that long. Maybe WOW air should start looking into it because of low operating costs JK :D

1 Like

Yeah I was skeptical as well but made it barely… departed with 98% fuel so definitely needed every drop haha WOW should do ittttttt